Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tech12
    • Oct 2010

Programming in Canada

Is there anyone on this forum that uses the pass thru pro in Canada? What hoops do we have to jump through to program security systems in Canada? I need to program an immobilizer on a 2002 Toyota Sienna. The customer has installed a used ECM and has no key. Will I have access to the neccesary TIS applications on Toyotas site to do an immobilizer reset? If not - what will I have to do to get it? In the US - it appears that you must have a "security professional" designation. What are the parameters for Canada and how do we get the required designation? I have called Toyota and they refer me to the NASTF. I called the NASTF and they don't know anything about security designations in Canada. Does anyone out there have experience with this? If you have been programming security immobilizers etc, can you let me know if there have been any roadblocks for you? Thanks in advance.

Eric Sifton
    Tech2U Automotive Solutions
    Nanaimo BC
    canada
  • tech12
    • Oct 2010

Ok.......... So what do you guys in the US have to do for security access? I used to work at a GM dealership here in Canada and as a dealer tech we had access to all programming functions. We did not have any separate security access. Any thoughts on this issue?

Comment

• eddiesverus
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by tech12
      Ok.......... So what do you guys in the US have to do for security access? I used to work at a GM dealership here in Canada and as a dealer tech we had access to all programming functions. We did not have any separate security access. Any thoughts on this issue?
      As far as GM security, you need a Tech2 and you need to have full GM TIS2000 subscription to access it. If you use a pass-through device only you are limited to only some modules but not all. The Tech2 is needed and or the new MDI. Also GM may request that you are a registered locksmith to access GM security. So far they haven't and I've able to program Keys and TDM's relearns.
      Hard Work, commitment, Honesty and not giving up is what Makes us better Tech's

Comment

• tech12
        • Oct 2010

programming security roadblocks

Ok- so I have some info regarding security access for techs in Canada. I found a website that seems to be the Canadian eqivilent to the NASTF site for the US. Here is a link to the site -

It states on this site - "During the development of the CASIS agreement it was identified that some of the key components of the US Secure Data Release Model (SDRM) have no Canadian equivalent. For example, Canada has no national locksmith association to act as ALOA does in the SDRM. Furthermore, Canadian privacy laws prohibit relaying any individual's personal information across the border into the US, and third parties cannot obtain a criminal record check on individuals in Canada. Therefore, the vetting and registration of vehicle security professionals in Canada would have to be a uniquely Canadian process. The CASIS agreement acknowledges that a Canadian equivalent to the US SDRM will be reached, but it would take more time than the rest of the provisions of the CASIS. The CASIS Task Force is working diligently to ensure that vehicle security information will be available without undue delay. Much progress has already been made and further updates will be made available in due course."
        So I guess that if a carmaker restricts security information then for now we have no access.

Comment

• Snafu
          • Nov 2008

Thanks for the info Tech12

Comment

Working...