Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joey8705
    • Aug 2019

Snap on pass thru pro 3 questions

My buddy lent me his pass thru pro 3. I'm wanting to learn how to use it. I have a 2001 Silverado that I'm going to practice on. My questions are what is this tool capable of doing? And do I need to go to another site to download software into the Silverado? Is it all on the ptp3? I went to the website and clicked the oem tab and clicked gm it took me to ac Delco and said not found. If I ha e to use another site to get the program what sites? Can I use any site or does it have to be gm. Like I said I'm wanting to learn and this is a spare truck I own. I want to change settings\parameters, idle, throttle response, shift points etc.
  • jm43130
    • Apr 2008

You need to go to AC DELCO TDS website, sign up, purchase programming software. Then you download the software. You do all programming form this site. HOWEVER, this is OEM site and you can not change any parameters or settings, just flash with OEM software files. If you want to change settings, you need to a purchase a Aftermarket Programmer and adjust settings with what they have built in. PTP3 will only flash OEM files.

Comment

• Joe Rappa
      Snap-on DSD
      • Aug 2007

Start here: https://www.snapon.com/diagnostics/u...IV/Drivers.htm

Download the toolbox software and drivers.
      As already stated, a Pass Thru Programmer is for installing OEM software on vehicle computers. The capabilities are up to the OEMs. There are risks if you do it incorrectly. Sometimes there's risks even when you do it correctly.
      GM stuff is pretty easy though, so it's a good place to start.

Joe
      "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
      Henry Ford

Comment

• SnapOnKid
        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Joey8705
        My buddy lent me his pass thru pro 3. I'm wanting to learn how to use it. I have a 2001 Silverado that I'm going to practice on. My questions are what is this tool capable of doing? And do I need to go to another site to download software into the Silverado? Is it all on the ptp3? I went to the website and clicked the oem tab and clicked gm it took me to ac Delco and said not found. If I ha e to use another site to get the program what sites? Can I use any site or does it have to be gm. Like I said I'm wanting to learn and this is a spare truck I own. I want to change settings\parameters, idle, throttle response, shift points etc.
        You can not change any of those conditions within the OEM software. The tool will only allow you to reflash and update software to the latest calibration offered from GM.

Even the OEM diagnostic tool can not adjust those settings within the PCM.

You need an aftermarket tool with their software to adjust those items.

Comment

• tech25
          • Oct 2017

well said snaponkid,

exactly correct.. also, a 2001 chevy??? why mess with anything anyways?? its the farthest thing from performance..

I would just keep it as factory as possible. it will last longer and be more reliable.

Comment

• BRIAN617
            • Dec 2016

Originally posted by tech25
            a 2001 chevy??? why mess with anything anyways??
            Why not mess with it I say!

Won't learn much if you never try to take something apart or modify it.

Comment

• tech25
              • Oct 2017

Originally posted by BRIAN617

because one could mess the ecu up with coding and programming if it goes wrong. then you can open the ecu up and look at the circuit board all you want, then have someone with proper training actually fix it.

One can learn that there's a proper way and improper way of doing things,

thats what seperates the professionals, who do this for a living, from amateurs who have no formal/dealer engineering training. ones who like to tinker, mess things up, then run to forums asking how to fix it.

Comment

• Joe Rappa
                Snap-on DSD
                • Aug 2007

Then buy an HP Tuner and have at it! Those early LS processors are very flexible.

There's a lot of cool things you can do with one. There's even more things you can break instead. If you're asking this question on this forum then my bet would be that you don't know what you're getting into.
                My advice would be to join a few tuning forums. Spend some time searching them to see what others have done before you.
                Tuning can be fun. If you're good it can even be an income stream. Screw-ups could cost you an engine, or an accident, so know what you're doing before you do something dopey. For example, I've seen multiple Chevy Trucks with aluminum driveshafts that have the speed limit raised. Those driveshafts come apart at speeds above the original limits. That's a good way to get killed, and maybe kill someone else too. So, again, just know what you're doing before you get yourself in trouble.

Joe
                Henry Ford

Comment

• BRIAN617
                  • Dec 2016

I'm not saying tinker with a customers vehicle, but if you want to modify your own go for it.

Silly to tell someone to leave something alone because thats your personal opinion.

I do have HPtuners and few other tuning suites.

Comment

• sandt38
                    • May 2012

Originally posted by Joe Rappa
                    Then buy an HP Tuner and have at it! Those early LS processors are very flexible.

There's a lot of cool things you can do with one. There's even more things you can break instead. If you're asking this question on this forum then my bet would be that you don't know what you're getting into.
                    My advice would be to join a few tuning forums. Spend some time searching them to see what others have done before you.
                    Tuning can be fun. If you're good it can even be an income stream. Screw-ups could cost you an engine, or an accident, so know what you're doing before you do something dopey. For example, I've seen multiple Chevy Trucks with aluminum driveshafts that have the speed limit raised. Those driveshafts come apart at speeds above the original limits. That's a good way to get killed, and maybe kill someone else too. So, again, just know what you're doing before you get yourself in trouble.

Joe
                    Indeed! Years ago I worked in a performance shop and we did chips (dyno runs, not generic flashes) and various on board programming (Motec Systems most often) in Grand Nationals and other GM cars/trucks. It was a lot of fun, but you could sure melt down some pistons and head gaskets if your initial maps were off!

But as Joe said, you had better have a good understanding of what you are getting into. Timing curves and fuel maps can be tricky, and if done incorrectly, catastrophic.

But no, the PTP 3 will not allow you to mess with anything, nor will any factory tool.

Comment

• Joey8705
                      • Aug 2019

I guess the others 1. Don't want to pass on knowledge to where others can learn and 2. Missed the part where I said this is a spare truck for me. 1 of 4 trucks I own and I don't mind if I mess up. That's why I'm using it to learn on... I wasn't going to get in there and turn it up to 2500 hp\tq and send it... Im wanting to learn about programming\tuning. All I had was a simple question about the tool I was lent. Sure seems like some of you have something against people trying to learn.

Comment

• Joe Rappa
                        Snap-on DSD
                        • Aug 2007

I guess the others 1. Don't want to pass on knowledge to where others can learn and 2. Missed the part where I said this is a spare truck for me. 1 of 4 trucks I own and I don't mind if I mess up. That's why I'm using it to learn on... I wasn't going to get in there and turn it up to 2500 hp\tq and send it... Im wanting to learn about programming\tuning. All I had was a simple question about the tool I was lent. Sure seems like some of you have something against people trying to learn.
                        Not sure what made you feel like that, but please don't overlook the answers that you got. A Pass-thru Programmer allows non dealership shops to program controllers with OEM Software. It's not for performance tuning.
                        If you want to get started LS Tuning, I recommend the following two forums: ls1tech.com and the hptuners forum. There are also hundreds of youtube videos. The learning curve is steep in the beginning, but if you buy a tuner and start fooling around on your own spare truck, you'll get the hang of it after a while.
                        Joe
                        Henry Ford

Comment

• Joey8705
                          • Aug 2019

Originally posted by Joe Rappa
                          Not sure what made you feel like that, but please don't overlook the answers that you got. A Pass-thru Programmer allows non dealership shops to program controllers with OEM Software. It's not for performance tuning.
                          If you want to get started LS Tuning, I recommend the following two forums: ls1tech.com and the hptuners forum. There are also hundreds of youtube videos. The learning curve is steep in the beginning, but if you buy a tuner and start fooling around on your own spare truck, you'll get the hang of it after a while.
                          Joe

Sorry I took the responses of why even mess with it, amateurs that tinker with stuff then run to these forums asking for help bc they screwed something up, as not wanting to be very helpful. I'm a diesel mechanic and I do some "tinkering" with parameters or tuning of sorts on our semis and for the most part it's easy stuff and with the program we use pretty much fool proof. But like I said I have this spare truck and would like to learn the passenger vehicle side of it. I understand I could mess things up and I'm not worried about it seeing as how it's my own vehicle. All I was wondering was the capabilities of the pass thru bc their website was vague. But I will definitely check out the forums you mentioned and others to get tips and advice. Everyone has to start somewhere and we're amateurs at one point. I think if you have someone wanting to learn point them in the right direction. Anyways no disrespect meant was just curious of the pass thrus capabilities.

Comment

• Joe Rappa
                            Snap-on DSD
                            • Aug 2007

Anyways no disrespect meant was just curious of the pass thrus capabilities.
                            Not to worry. There is such a wealth of info available on the internet, and discussion boards a re a big part of it. Unfortunately the written word doesn't always come off the same way as the spoken word. It's WAY easier to misunderstand what we are saying and reading.
                            You'll have fun tuning any LS engine. There's a decent amount of untapped power to be found.
                            Joe
                            Henry Ford

Comment

Working...