Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tech12
    • Oct 2010

J2534 Advice?

I am new to these forums. I am thinking of getting a J2534 programming tool so that I am able to do programming on all makes. I have done lots of programming with a Tech2 and TIS(I used to work at a GM dealer) Does anyone have any advice for me? Is it much different doing programming with the J2534 on other makes besides GM? Any words of wisdom?
  • Joe Rappa
    Snap-on DSD
    • Aug 2007

J2534 programming is not nearly as ainless as programming at the dealership. It is full of bugs, problems and aggravation. There's a new trick every month. It's not impossible, but it's not easy either.
    Programming GMs requires a quarterly subscription, whether you use it or not. Most everyone else lets you buy programming by the slice.

If you do it, get a dedicated pc to do it. Don't plan to use your scan tool.
    Make sure you have a plan for maintaining battery voltage for as long as it takes. Be prepared for there to be a learning curve.

Welcome to the Forums!

Joe
    "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
    Henry Ford

Comment

• normanatlm
      • Apr 2009

got the 600 dollar snappy battery charger.
      all I got to say is watch out for the 2003 trailblazers with the 4.2 motor,
      done smoked 2 trailblazer pcms, have had 1 sucessful gm (buick) reflash. guess 2 dead gm pcms out of 3 aint too bad.

see the thread I started. reflash pass thru pro2 help
      Last edited by normanatlm; 10-27-2010, 04:26 PM.

Comment

• Skip
        Super Moderator
        • Apr 2008

The trick with those is you have to unplug the SP205 splice pack (drivers side kick panel) and then jump the A and B terminals together. This allows the DLC to get to the PCM but prevents all of the other modules from talking during the reflash.

02-05 trailblazers-Envoy-Bravada

Comment

• Bob's Garage
          • Nov 2007

Reflashing G M

I have noticed whenever I reflash a Trailblazer, TIS to Web gives you instuctions to pull the ABS and BCM fuses. I imagine, when you do a GM J-2534 reflash you will always have do some research.

So far, I haven't lost a PCM using the Tech2 or MDI.
          Last edited by Bob's Garage; 11-18-2010, 08:46 PM.

Comment

• Rich Barton
            • Sep 2007

Break out box

Originally posted by Skip
            The trick with those is you have to unplug the SP205 splice pack (drivers side kick panel) and then jump the A and B terminals together. This allows the DLC to get to the PCM but prevents all of the other modules from talking during the reflash.

02-05 trailblazers-Envoy-Bravada

Hi Normanatim,

Skip give you some good tips here,I also want to add to this.

I use this procedure if I have problem but I also use this inline which makes hooking up very easy.

Rich Barton
            C.R.B. Repair

Comment

• USpMD
              • Oct 2010

Great tip Rich, thanks
              "I wanna help the helpless, but I could careless about the clueless". Dennis Miller

Comment

• kebo1970
                • Nov 2008

Originally posted by tech12
                I am new to these forums. I am thinking of getting a J2534 programming tool so that I am able to do programming on all makes. I have done lots of programming with a Tech2 and TIS(I used to work at a GM dealer) Does anyone have any advice for me? Is it much different doing programming with the J2534 on other makes besides GM? Any words of wisdom?
                good luck with programming on all makes. you will need a bunch of factory tools to accomplish that.

Comment

Working...