Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • banshee
    • Jun 2010

high amp probe

what is the best high amp probe for my versus have snap-on eeta502c but not very clear on relative compression test
  • greasybob
    • May 2008

I use the Blue Point CA2, 400amp. Try setting the amp probe to its lowest setting, then set the scope to DC volts at 100mv setting, then set it to AC couple and set the sweep to 2 seconds, I'm pretty sure thats the settings I use, I'll give it a try later to make sure

Comment

• McCalls Garage
      • Jul 2010

I purchased a fluke 80i-400 probe and the only way I can see anything that looks half way like what I've seen from others is to set it on 20v, 5ms, coupled, w filter. Now I'm learning how to use the scope so if I am way off base please tell me. I really want to become proficient with the scope, so any help would be grateful.

Comment

• greasybob
        • May 2008

Here two screen shots of compression testing, the first an 01 Dodge 5.9 diesel,settings,2 second sweep,CA2 at 400 amps and scope at 200mv with AC coupled. The second shows total amp draw, settings, 2 seconds sweep, CA2 at 400 amps And scope at 500mv. A smaller engine would reqire different settings to get it more sensitive. Hope I doing this right and it helps.
        Attached Files

Comment

• greasybob
          • May 2008

No start 03 Hyundai Sonata just dragged in on the hook. The relative compression test is quick, got timing belt figuered to be the problem before the hauler is gone. The 400 amp setting works good on small engines too, just lower the voltage settings on the scope. A low Amp probe which is valuable for many other uses works on small engines too if the battery cable will fit. This listed as an interference engine too, do a leak down test tomorrow.
          Attached Files

Comment

• greasybob
            • May 2008

I tried making a couple of videos showing how to do relative compression testing with an amp probe and a low amp probe, not sure if this will be any help, found instructional videos harder to make than I thought. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKvxG...eature=channel and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MELl...eature=channel

Comment

Working...