Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums Diagnostic Home . Diagnostic Product Index . Customer Care        
Diagnostic SoftwareDiagnostic PlatformsAsk-a-Tech, Automotive Repair InformationTech Central
Go Back   Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums > Snap-on Diagnostic Products > Diagnostic Platforms > Lab Scope & Component Level Testing
Home Today's Posts Register Members List FAQ
Thank you for visiting Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums.
You are currently NOT logged in to a registered account. Some functions of Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums will not be available to you if your are not logged in as a registered member. For a limited time only, registrationto Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums to Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums is !! FREE !! Select the    **REGISTER NOW**    link to register for your FREE Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums account!!

Old 06-23-2014, 08:08 PM

SPS10.4 Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

I bought a red/black pair of backprobes for my Vantage Pro the other day. Snap-On dealer had a sales flyer so they may be a newer product. Banana plugs work with most DMMs' or scopes. They have a .5mm diameter pin. Made in South Korea. Stock number is MTTL7005.
I use the sewing pins that came with my Pico as well. When I absolutely had to pierce a wire, I used a dab of Ultra Black RTV.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:45 AM

ratherbefishing75 Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

for like 5 bucks you can get 2 packs of 50 each t pins at a fabric store and some liquied eletrical tape is cheep enough
Old 06-24-2014, 10:08 AM

maven Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

if for some reason I absolutely have had to pierce a wire to do testing, and I can probably count the number of times Ive done this in the last decade on one hand, I do remove the terminal from the connector and slide an adhesive lined piece of heatshrink over it. This and not piercing in the first place is what people who give a sh!t do.

I believe the surge in popularity of piercing wires is due in part at least to very popular technicians advocating the use of the practice in their videos/classes, youtube brings their opinions and less than ideal practices right into the homes and bays of thousands and thousands of techs. Who now have an 'expert" telling them its OK, to pierce and not to listen to the whiners who say not to.

Am I slower than someone with the same diagnostic skill level I have but who just pierces and smears (or doesnt even treat at all)???.....Im sure. But I cant work like that.

Wit, I have that exact set you posted, it is nice for $40. they pop right into the end of modular banana scope/dmm leads.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:34 PM

Crusty You made it!  You've done a great job ofearning reputation from your peers.  You now have secret access to a new hidden forum!

You can FORCE it
you can F.... it
or
you can FINESSE it

Sliding the safety pin or sewing needle down the side of the wire is probing the same way the probe kits do.....

Just connect your meter lead alligator clip and test away
Nothing damaged.
Might take a wee bit longer as Maven says but in the long run the tortoise wins the race
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140624_142403.jpg (143.6 KB, 135 views)
Old 06-24-2014, 02:51 PM

sbreland73 You made it!  You've done a great job ofearning reputation from your peers.  You now have secret access to a new hidden forum!

I peirce, because sometimes you can't get to a connector in a reasonable amount of time. However I ALWAYS use this stuff to cover the "wound".

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-B...-400/100119178

Old 06-24-2014, 05:37 PM
Banned

Witsend Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Talking

So far I have been back probing where the backs of the connectors are accessible to be backprobed using straight pins that have little colored balls on the end so I don't pierce my finger. I will give the connector back probe method 3 chances and then out comes A Big Honkin Easy Hooks.
I like to Cocoon any hole I can see daylight through with a half a tube of Ultra Grey
Old 03-28-2015, 09:38 AM

DrDiesel1 Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

T-Pins work great
Old 03-28-2015, 11:32 AM

David Green Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witsend View Post

Aren't WE Doctors of automobiles-???"
Some in our trade are not even capable of passing their 11 plus exam
Old 03-28-2015, 11:35 AM

David Green Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post

Sliding the safety pin or sewing needle down the side of the wire is probing the same way the probe kits do.....

Just connect your meter lead alligator clip and test away
Nothing damaged.
Might take a wee bit longer as Maven says but in the long run the tortoise wins the race
Disconnecting the circuit like that LOL you might loose the faulty connection that caused the fault in the first place
Old 03-28-2015, 11:43 AM
Banned

Witsend Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Quote:
T-Pins work great
I bet they do. Besides being easier on your finger tip back probing the connectors, after in place ,the T provides a good spot to clip the probe onto.
I had one years ago but it seemed to becoming a little too fat for pack probing most of the connectors with the weatherpacked smaller diameter terminal connectors .
I think back probing a connector instead of piercing the wire might actually hide a problem of a poor connection at a component connector if you are wiggle checking the harness triing to reproduce a concern, but a better choice for checking component output.

Last edited by Witsend; 03-28-2015 at 12:00 PM..