Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums Diagnostic Home . Diagnostic Product Index . Customer Care        
Diagnostic SoftwareDiagnostic PlatformsAsk-a-Tech, Automotive Repair InformationTech Central
Go Back   Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums > Snap-on Diagnostic Products > Diagnostic Platforms > Lab Scope & Component Level Testing
Home Today's Posts Register Members List FAQ
Thank you for visiting Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums.
You are currently NOT logged in to a registered account. Some functions of Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums will not be available to you if your are not logged in as a registered member. For a limited time only, registrationto Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums to Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums is !! FREE !! Select the    **REGISTER NOW**    link to register for your FREE Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums account!!

Old 03-28-2015, 11:50 AM

David Green Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witsend View Post
Exactly , so as a car nurse poking something like a needle or IV into the back of a connector that is never going to heal by itself if I miss the vein , I figure this is about the nicest looking set I have seen so far to probe and check car vitals with.

http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-64900-17.../dp/B00AUIAVXI
I found them over here at a cost of £129.99 against your $40, searched again and found them at £42, rip off Britain
Old 03-28-2015, 11:52 AM

David Green Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbreland73 View Post
I peirce, because sometimes you can't get to a connector in a reasonable amount of time. However I ALWAYS use this stuff to cover the "wound".

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-B...-400/100119178

$5.99 over here different bottle same stuff £14
Old 03-28-2015, 06:37 PM

Crusty You made it!  You've done a great job ofearning reputation from your peers.  You now have secret access to a new hidden forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Green View Post
Disconnecting the circuit like that LOL you might loose the faulty connection that caused the fault in the first place
That picture was from an old connector. I just used that to illustrate how a sewing needle or a safety pin would easily slide down and not damage anything.

A pack of 50 safety pins of various sizes costs a whopping $1.89 in beaver bucks-!!
Old 04-24-2015, 11:23 AM

pmcpherson Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

just use liquid electrical tape! I always back probe the connector if I have to pierce I always use liquid electrical tape (cost about 7 dollars a can lasts all year if not longer) problem solved !!!
Old 04-24-2015, 02:58 PM

maven Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

July 2013, 2010 Buick Lucerne, $200 diag charge, $100 labor charge, $600 suspesnsion pump/valve replaced
April 20, 2015 same car gets valve replaced again. Only $175diag this time , still $700 install
April 21, 2015 same car is in my bay because new valve doesnt work again.... $100 diag, $50 wire repair.

No power to valve, wire rotted off inside insulation where original tech pierced wire to test valve circuits Which was just pure laziness as a test light does the job with ZERO damage.

There was some sort of goo(dime store rtv?) attempting to cover hole in insulation and harness was properly taped up and showed no signs of moisture inside EXCEPT where the wire was pierced.
Old 04-24-2015, 05:46 PM

Crusty You made it!  You've done a great job ofearning reputation from your peers.  You now have secret access to a new hidden forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
July 2013, 2010 Buick Lucerne, $200 diag charge, $100 labor charge, $600 suspesnsion pump/valve replaced
April 20, 2015 same car gets valve replaced again. Only $175diag this time , still $700 install
April 21, 2015 same car is in my bay because new valve doesnt work again.... $100 diag, $50 wire repair.

No power to valve, wire rotted off inside insulation where original tech pierced wire to test valve circuits Which was just pure laziness as a test light does the job with ZERO damage.

There was some sort of goo(dime store rtv?) attempting to cover hole in insulation and harness was properly taped up and showed no signs of moisture inside EXCEPT where the wire was pierced.
I have tried the "liquid electrical tape" AND THAT STUFF SUCKS-!!!.

Up here corrosion is rampant and any kind of "piercing" WILL end up with a BAD CIRCUIT-!!!!!!!!!

It's not IF it corrodes....it's WHEN will it corrode-!!!

DO NOT PIERCE WIRES-!!!! It's a very poor, and NOT a professional technique-!!!

I can not count the number of times I have had to repair the results of this practice of "piercing wires" and it goes all the way back to the 1970's-!!!

Again, and again, and again it shows up later. Since the 1970's-!!! GEEZES-!!! Don't people EVER learn-???? No wonder this trade gets a bad name when people keep making that same mistake.....
Old 11-26-2018, 01:50 PM

Sir Obi Bob Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Default Something different

I know this violates the "Do Not Disturb the Connector" rule but if you need to monitor a circuit without damage this will work. Just strip a 12 gauge (or wire of your choice) and insert it between the two halves of the connector for the circuit in question.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Test lead connection.jpg (182.0 KB, 29 views)
Old 11-26-2018, 05:45 PM
Banned

Witsend Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Quote:
I know this violates the "Do Not Disturb the Connector" rule but if you need to monitor a circuit without damage this will work. Just strip a 12 gauge (or wire of your choice) and insert it between the two halves of the connector for the circuit in question.
On larger terminal wire connectors like that you can also easily back probe with a T-pin and not damage anything as well as placing a single "thin" strand of wire placed inside the female terminal and shoving the male side in, might not damage anything, but to do it with a tiny gauge terminal connectors of PCM would spread and damage the terminals .