Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • roadracer587
    • Mar 2012

Adding Waveforms to posts?

I am new to posting on this forum and I can not figure out how to post a waveform. I do not know what a URL is and the copy and paste function that I am used too does not work. Any help would be appreciated!!!
    Attached Files
    No one plans to fail, they simply fail to plan!!!
  • roadracer587
    • Mar 2012

I guess I figured it out

This is a Ford Cam and Crank signal that was sent to me and was ask what I thought was wrong. I would like to get as many opinions as possible. I know what fixed the vehicle but I really need some other opinions as to what cause the Cam sensor to look this way. No opinion can be overlooked.

Comment

• Trindaddy
      • Jan 2010

Oh, so you already fixed it, huh? These are the before or after waves (before i hope)? How can we concentrate when you didnt tell us what fixed it? Alright, this could be fun....wait ...so what fixed it is NOT the reason for this wave, right? I'll go 1st.

Poor ground on scope lead for CMP. (and what fixed it was defective alternator

This forum is intended for general discussions that would relate specifically to our US members. Others may join in but please stay on topic.

Comment

• crackerclicker
        • May 2008

Originally posted by Trindaddy
        Poor ground on scope lead for CMP. (and what fixed it was defective alternator

http://productforum.autorepairdata.c...ead.php?t=5200
        i think you are partly right, neil. it looks like he placed the ground leads for each channel directly on the respective ground wires for both sensors. you can't do that on variable reluctance sensors when using more than one channel with a scope that shares a common ground on all channels. ever heard of the term 'ground loop'?

as for the fix, it looks like the cmp/ckp relationship is off.

Comment

• Bob's Garage
          • Nov 2007

????? cant post a waveform?????

Originally posted by roadracer587
          I am new to posting on this forum and I can not figure out how to post a waveform. I do not know what a URL is and the copy and paste function that I am used too does not work. Any help would be appreciated!!!
          What do you mean you can't post a waveform? Didn't you just do it?

Comment

• roadracer587
            • Mar 2012

Well here we go. This was captured and sent to me by a tech in Maryland. He ask me what I thought was causing the horrible noise on the cam sensor and if I thought the cam and crank were out of sync. I first informed him that it was indeed out of sync. but that would not cause the noise. I was later informed that the timing had been corrected but that the noise was still there. I was then informed that the cam sensor was replaced and the pattern was then noise free and the vehicle ran well. I requested that he tell me where his ground leads were positioned and whether they had changed from obtaining the noisy bad waveform and the good waveform after the cam sensor change. The tech. was not sure. Now the vehicle is fixed, but I agree that the ground lead must have been incorrectly connected and or the lead was laying on the alternator feed line, or maybe both. This is where taking extremely good notes on where each lead was connected and how it was routed would be very beneficial. Yes, the vehicle is fixed but what really cleaned up the cam sensor signal.

Comment

• crackerclicker
              • May 2008

road racer,

i'm pretty sure he used the sensor grounds in the capture you posted beacause they both go above and below zero. if he used batt ground he would have had waveforms above the zero line.

Comment

Working...