Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • djnotorrious
    • Sep 2018

new windows 10 for zeus

just wondering should we update our zeus to windows 10? and it will cost us $200! and maybe a newer updated dongle?
  • GypsyR
    • Jul 2017

$200? Really. Eesh. I've been updating my own computers since like DOS 3.0. Probably save that 200 and do it myself. I hear some people already have.

Comment

• Wheel
      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by GypsyR
      $200? Really. Eesh. I've been updating my own computers since like DOS 3.0. Probably save that 200 and do it myself. I hear some people already have.
      The economics of it might depend on how much a copy of Windows 10 costs.
      That said, I'd much prefer not having to send it in and doing it myself as well. I wonder if there are any driver issues or differences to worry about - that and finding a reasonably priced copy of Windows 10 would be my only hangups.
      You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• GypsyR
        • Jul 2017

Some people are still ferreting out the Microsoft loopholes that lets them upgrade for free. Given that Microsoft gave away ever so many free upgrades for a long time it seems silly they'd be terribly uptight about them now.

I've found it easier to simply buy a legit "key" and be done with it. Here is one example. $30 for the "home" version.

I have a laptop that I installed Win 10 on but never "activated" it. Win 10 works fine but has a reminder on the screen that it hasn't been activated. Plus they restrict me from changing my desktop wallpaper or using a screensaver. Other than that it works fine. So that's another free option.

Comment

• str53
          • Dec 2009

For $200, do you get anything else, like Ram or Hard drive capacity?
          Will it slow down older Models of Zeus?
          Has anybody done this yet?

Comment

• GypsyR
            • Jul 2017

I've done a bunch of upgrading various other things to Win 10. I had an older dual core laptop that was creaking along slowly with Vista but decided to take a shot. It actually ran a lot better with Win 10 and became snappy enough to actually use again. I thought I noticed it in other stuff but wasn't sure.
            So either for the first time ever a Windows edition came out with LESS bloat than it's predecessors or it's scaling to the hardware we have. Maybe some of both, I don't know.

Point being that likely 10 should run at least as well as the current 7 and hopefully even a bit better.

There are folks out there who've done this. Perhaps one will drop in here. Traffic seems to be a little slow here lately.

Comment

• Wheel
              • Jul 2007

One possible drawback I thought of to installing 10 on your Zeus or Verus yourself as opposed to them doing it is for anyone re imaging their machine.
              You'd be back to 7 again.

Personally, I like backing these up to an external drive or another computer in case something happens to the internal drive. Also, by backing up where you are with what you may have installed, you can pick up where you left off when everything was fine, and you don't have to reinstall a bunch of stuff.
              You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• GypsyR
                • Jul 2017

Good ideas for sure. I have two scanners that I've upgraded to SSD drives and kept the original drives as-is just in case.
                I tend not to install much extra stuff on them to backup but I get the idea. Lately we've been using the Zeus as a PC sometimes to reflash GM and Ford modules after the laptop we had dedicated to that crapped out. So there is a bit more stuff on it.

Comment

• ronald316
                  • Oct 2018

wind 10

how was the wind 10 upgrade.what type of drive is in the zeus

Comment

• ronald316
                    • Oct 2018

upgrade wind 10

has anybody here upgrade there owns zeus to a ssd drive and to wind 10.what drive did you use .and windows version.

Comment

• sledfreek76
                      • Jun 2012

In regards to the hard ware in the Zeus. Both Zeus and Verus Edge have the same hardware, both having a 64 gb MSata drive. Which is a 1.8" solid state unit, and is easily upgraded to a larger capacity one. While doing the hard drive upgrade, the ram can be upgraded to a 4 gb version, doubling its size. My Verus edge is much faster and larger in capacity doing these upgrades. Os has not been changed yet for 7 works well at this time. Hope this answers questions!

Comment

• ronald316
                        • Oct 2018

wind

ya it did were did you buy your upgrade stuff from like hd and memorie

Comment

• ronald316
                          • Oct 2018

Originally posted by ronald316
                          ya it did were did you buy your upgrade stuff from like hd and memorie
                          is the ram the same has a laptops

Comment

• ronald316
                            • Oct 2018

Originally posted by GypsyR
                            Some people are still ferreting out the Microsoft loopholes that lets them upgrade for free. Given that Microsoft gave away ever so many free upgrades for a long time it seems silly they'd be terribly uptight about them now.

I've found it easier to simply buy a legit "key" and be done with it. Here is one example. $30 for the "home" version.

I have a laptop that I installed Win 10 on but never "activated" it. Win 10 works fine but has a reminder on the screen that it hasn't been activated. Plus they restrict me from changing my desktop wallpaper or using a screensaver. Other than that it works fine. So that's another free option.
                            can you install just regular wind 10 or do you need wind 10 embedded like wind 7 embedded

Comment

• GypsyR
                              • Jul 2017

Snap On is installing "Win 10 Enterprise". I don't know why, I like to use the "Pro" myself usually. I have not upgraded ours to Win 10 yet though I have upgraded the hard drive and memory on my Verus Edge. The memory is a pretty easy install but copying the hard drive onto a newer and larger drive is a pretty complicated procedure. If you don't actually need more room you could probably just skip doing that.
                              I can't recall exactly what memory is in the Zeus/Verus Edge. I used a program called "Speccy". Downloaded and ran it and among other things it told me exactly what kind of memory I had so I knew what to shop for. Easy. It's the same kind of memory as some laptops use and fairly common, I remember that.

Comment

Working...