Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • phill57
    • Oct 2007

SSC Very slow to load files in folders.

Just bought a new Verus Edge and was surprised to see that SSC was not pre-installed on it. Yes I know it replays scanner recordings in a SSC like interface. So i downloaded and installed the latest version, 17.4.0.4. When i select a folder of scanner recordings to view the program takes forever to view the files. It was never this slow on my Verus Pro with the same files to load. I migrated all my files from my pro to the edge. Anyone else experiencing this?
  • phill57
    • Oct 2007

"Do not install SSC on a diagnostic tool"

Just noticed this statement in the SSC download page.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Rich Shepherd
      Snap-on D&I
      • Nov 2006

Are you comparing the same number of files and total folder size between the Verus Pro and Verus Edge?
      SSC now reads the year and make from the PIDs files which were added around 17.2 and will then be displayed in the SSC Data Manager.
      There are also notes that may be in the files which are read and displayed in the Data Manager.
      The more and larger files you have in one folder, the longer it can take to read thru them for the year, make, and notes.
      We will take a look at the process.
      ShopStream Connect is not tested on the Windows based platforms because they have their own Data Manager hence the statement on not loading it on them.
      You can navigate to files using Windows and open them direct but the Verus can capture very long scan data movies so the files can be quite large and take a bit top open.

Comment

• phill57
        • Oct 2007

SSC slow to open folders

Hello Rich and thanks for the reply. I just got a new Edge coming from a pro which was running 17.2 and I believe the most current version of SSC. I migrated all my history to the Edge so it's opening the same number of files it did on my pro. I do have a lot of files I'll admit, over 2000 recorded scanner movies. I just started SSC and opened the scanner data folder and it took 19 minutes to see the file list. Once the folder opens the individual files open fine when requested. On a similar topic when I backed up all my files from the pro to the Edge the data manager shows all the files in each selection as the week beginning November 26/2017. Checking the files in Windows file manager and they all have their original dates attached. Maybe I'll try to remove and reinstall SSC. Windows file manager opens each folder in a blink with virtually no delay.

Comment

• phill57
          • Oct 2007

SSC Slow To Load

Originally posted by Rich Shepherd
          Are you comparing the same number of files and total folder size between the Verus Pro and Verus Edge?
          SSC now reads the year and make from the PIDs files which were added around 17.2 and will then be displayed in the SSC Data Manager.
          There are also notes that may be in the files which are read and displayed in the Data Manager.
          The more and larger files you have in one folder, the longer it can take to read thru them for the year, make, and notes.
          We will take a look at the process.
          ShopStream Connect is not tested on the Windows based platforms because they have their own Data Manager hence the statement on not loading it on them.

Hello again Rich. I'm not sure what you mean by the above statement. What other platform would you install it on?

You can navigate to files using Windows and open them direct but the Verus can capture very long scan data movies so the files can be quite large and take a bit top open.
          If I navigate to the scanner data folder using windows file manager and double click the file the SSC file viewer opens and loads the file just fine. This does not work for lab scope files though. I uninstalled and reinstalled SSC and it didn't seem to help.

Comment

• phill57
            • Oct 2007

SSC File Viewer Work Around

I noticed that if I browse my saved files using the windows file manager that the scanner recordings open when double clicked using the Scanner Data Viewer that was added with either 16.4 or an earlier update. (where the reviewed data looks like SSC does). So i figured there must be a similar viewer that loads and replays the lab scope recordings when you open them in the Atlas program data manager There is and it's called Scopedataviewer and its located in the C:\Program Files\Snap-on Incorporated\ShopStream Connect\ScopeDataViewer folder. Right click one of the .vsm files and select open with the above viewer. Once that file type is associated with that viewer you can simply double click or right click and select open. You can even open multiple instances of the viewer to compare multiple recordings like you could with SSC. The only thing that's missing is the ability to view the notes that you saved at the time of saving the recording.

Comment

• Rich Shepherd
              Snap-on D&I
              • Nov 2006

Hi Phil,
              I said:
              You asked:
              Hello again Rich. I'm not sure what you mean by the above statement. What other platform would you install it on?
              SSC is not tested on the Verus line of Platforms because it has its own Data Manager and can view its data files on the platform.
              SSC is tested on Windows PC's as noted in the PC requirements on the Website.
              Sorry if I wasn't clear. Let me know if I still miss the point.
              The SSC Scan data viewer was added to the Verus for review of scan data a few updates back. Might have been 16.4 but I don't remember for sure
              Regarding the scope viewer:
              At 17.4, the capability was added to SSC to open scope files from Windows the same as the Scan data viewer. It was not previously possible as there wasn't a Scopedataviewer.exe to associate to scope files in Windows, only a scope dll which Windows doesn't support associating files to.
              Here is what the message window that informs there is a SSC update available included on the scope viewer:
              - Scope files can now be opened directly from Windows if set the Windows file association to “ScopeDataViewer.exe”
              - Scope viewer window will remember size and position
              While the support work to open the scope files from Windows was done in 17.4, the file association is not established during the install so it must be manually set. Then it will work as you found.

Comment

• phill57
                • Oct 2007

Still slow on another laptop

Hello Rich

I believe the latest version of SSC that now loads additional files information such as vehicle notes etc is whats slowing things down when opening a folder with a large number of files in it. I updated SSC to the latest version on my laptop a few minutes ago and I only have 410 scanner data files on my laptop spanning about 18 months. Now it takes over a minute for the folder to open and this laptop is running Windows 7 64bit with AMD 1.5Ghz processor and 8GB ram. Since I have over 2000 files in the scanner data folder on my Edge it makes sense that its that much slower. I'm going to try going back to an earlier version, (if I have a previous download still) and see if it improves.

As far as the Data Manager that is part of the Atlas software is concerned, no disrespect intended but it just plain sucks. Try looking through several hundred files with no sort capabilities. At one point I had made sub-folders and would routinely move some of the recordings to these sub folders. (GM, Ford, Chrysler, Import etc.) Only problem with that is if that file is tied to a work order then it will be lost due to the relocation of the file.

Comment

• Wheel
                  • Jul 2007

Originally posted by phill57
                  Hello Rich

I believe the latest version of SSC that now loads additional files information such as vehicle notes etc is whats slowing things down when opening a folder with a large number of files in it. I updated SSC to the latest version on my laptop a few minutes ago and I only have 410 scanner data files on my laptop spanning about 18 months. Now it takes over a minute for the folder to open and this laptop is running Windows 7 64bit with AMD 1.5Ghz processor and 8GB ram. Since I have over 2000 files in the scanner data folder on my Edge it makes sense that its that much slower. I'm going to try going back to an earlier version, (if I have a previous download still) and see if it improves.

As far as the Data Manager that is part of the Atlas software is concerned, no disrespect intended but it just plain sucks. Try looking through several hundred files with no sort capabilities. At one point I had made sub-folders and would routinely move some of the recordings to these sub folders. (GM, Ford, Chrysler, Import etc.) Only problem with that is if that file is tied to a work order then it will be lost due to the relocation of the file.
                  I share Phill57's preference for the Shopstream program over what comes with the Verus. I suppose one reason we like it so much is it is like how 10.2 software used to present live data to us and allow us to better manipulate and view it LIVE as it is being collected. When viewing and collecting data live I feel very hamstrung and handicapped when using any software 10.4 and since as opposed to 10.2 and back. You won't catch a Verus that I either own or operate without Shopstream installed. If it's not on it, I won't use the tool.
                  It is also I suppose the only means one has to review the notes and data we write for our scope presets - data we need badly when we are searching our presets in scope mode and have been deprived of since 10.2.

I haven't encountered it yet, but thanks guys for adding the scope viewer feature. I didn't know about it til reading this thread.
                  You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

Working...