Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Matt
    • Dec 2008

Continuous Duty

Local farmer had me add a guidance system, cb radio, and planter monitor to his tractor. To power all of these add-on devices I had to create my own circuit. When planning for this ahead of time I ordered a solenoid rated for the anticipated amount of amperage draw. I found that most of the generic solenoids at my local parts store are intended for a starter, ie. they are rated for "in-rush" amperage and a specific amount of time they can withstand that amperage, usually in minutes. I avoided these "starter" solenoids and ordered the solenoids labeled "continuous duty". After replacing two of these "continuous duty" solenoids due to internal failure I just chalked it up to poor quality. Looking for a higher quality solenoid on the web I started to notice the "continuous duty" labeled solenoids also had a amp/time rating suggesting they were not intended to be turned on and left on all day. Are my expectations of "continuous duty" not realistic? The circuit needs to sustain 30 amps. I am looking at some aircraft solenoids next. Any suggestions or opinions welcome.
  • Crusty
    • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Matt
    Local farmer had me add a guidance system, cb radio, and planter monitor to his tractor. To power all of these add-on devices I had to create my own circuit. When planning for this ahead of time I ordered a solenoid rated for the anticipated amount of amperage draw. I found that most of the generic solenoids at my local parts store are intended for a starter, ie. they are rated for "in-rush" amperage and a specific amount of time they can withstand that amperage, usually in minutes. I avoided these "starter" solenoids and ordered the solenoids labeled "continuous duty". After replacing two of these "continuous duty" solenoids due to internal failure I just chalked it up to poor quality. Looking for a higher quality solenoid on the web I started to notice the "continuous duty" labeled solenoids also had a amp/time rating suggesting they were not intended to be turned on and left on all day. Are my expectations of "continuous duty" not realistic? The circuit needs to sustain 30 amps. I am looking at some aircraft solenoids next. Any suggestions or opinions welcome.
    You're asking a solenoid to behave like a RELAY.

Comment

• greasybob
      • May 2008

EZ GO golf carts. They have continuous duty solenoids. Not sure about the rating but I would think 30 amps at least. Look for the 4 cycle 1994 and newer models.
      Last edited by greasybob; 05-15-2020, 05:45 PM.

Comment

• greasybob
        • May 2008

Gas golf carts as you may know use a primitive stop/start system so that the starter/generator solenoid stays engaged (connected, it's belt driven) as long as the your foot is on the gas. Thus the continuous duty solenoid. https://www.golfcartgarage.com/ezgo-...iABEgIRb_D_BwE Hopefully this link works. Aftermarket parts are easily available as carts are often customized

Comment

• Matt
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Crusty
          You're asking a solenoid to behave like a RELAY.
          Right

Comment

• Matt
            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by greasybob
            Gas golf carts as you may know use a primitive stop/start system so that the starter/generator solenoid stays engaged (connected, it's belt driven) as long as the your foot is on the gas. Thus the continuous duty solenoid. https://www.golfcartgarage.com/ezgo-...iABEgIRb_D_BwE Hopefully this link works. Aftermarket parts are easily available as carts are often customized
            Thank you. I will get one ordered and try it out. Link worked for me BTW.

Comment

Working...