Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • uniongarage
    • Feb 2013

Battery install problem BMW 335i

Battery replacement resulted in red steering lock indicator on dash illuminated. Customer drove vehicle home, would not restart, steering wheel is locked. Code A0AA stored in immobilizer module, no codes stored in DME. Cannot interpret network/module status(some systems able to pull data/codes, other systems not able to pull codes) Also unable to register battery in control module- menu selection is present but registration fails. Any advise/help is appreciated.
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

So ultimately what was the problem found to be?

Other than the customer driving car home with a faulty charging system , loose belt, connections, or parasitic draw that caused battery to go flat again , or using an unprogrammed key ,what ultimately was the problem found to be then ?

Comment

• Techniker
      • Feb 2013

Originally posted by uniongarage
      Battery replacement resulted in red steering lock indicator on dash illuminated. Customer drove vehicle home, would not restart, steering wheel is locked. Code A0AA stored in immobilizer module, no codes stored in DME. Cannot interpret network/module status(some systems able to pull data/codes, other systems not able to pull codes) Also unable to register battery in control module- menu selection is present but registration fails. Any advise/help is appreciated.
      Which software version are you using?

I believe there was a recent discussion of this on iATN recently: http://members.iatn.net/forums/searc...ft=1&fv=4&qv=1

SUPPOSEDLY, the Snap-On tools can do it, but it appears that there is a suspicion that it in fact, can't. Autel's Maxidas can.

This is why you probably need at least two aftermarket scan tools. Snap On does a good job on diagnostics (great for graphing)- aside from OEM scan tools, it's the aftermarket standard; no argument there. The Maxidas really shines on giving you the bidirectional functional commands for doing stuff like testing outputs and initializing modules; factory-specific things- your BMW battery management issue being the perfect example.

Comment

• camaroz2866
        • Aug 2011

i use mine with bmw's all the time. specifically to program the battery and key. works fine. ive only had it fail once doing the battery and retried and worked [erfect. im on 11.2

Comment

• No-Start
          • Oct 2006

It's not that the Snap On cannot do the battery registration properly, the person questioning the procedure that doesn't know how to use the tool properly.

He questioned how one knows if the Snap On did the registration properly or not but if he knows how to use the tool on those cars, he would be able to answer his own question. It's a pretty straight forward procedure.

No-Start.

Comment

• K2356
            • Aug 2007

"It's not that the Snap On cannot do the battery registration properly, the person questioning the procedure that doesn't know how to use the tool properly."

I am well aware of the short comings of the tool.
            Kevin Suttorp[/SIZE]

Comment

Working...