Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hebert131
    • Aug 2007

2004 ford f150 oil consumption on a 4.6 new engine

I am working on a 2004 ford F150 4.6 engine the original customer complaint was engine noise the engine had about 150,000 miles we advised him it was internal engine problem we sold him a re-manufactured jasper engine every thing went fine with the install customer picked up the car we told him to bring it back in 500 miles to change the oil he did we changed the oil no problems then now the he has about 3000 miles he has been using about 1 quart of oil every 250 miles and it smokes now we have the car back and we found it is sucking oil through the pcv system and into the intake I replaced the pcv valve twice made sure there were no problems in the baffle in the valve cover or the pcv system I have done compression test on all of the cylinders about 165 to 215 in all of them I have done a cylinder leak down test they were all 10 to 0 % there is no blow by at the valve cover I have taken both valve covers off I see no problems I took the intake manifold off and it was full of oil I thought it could be valve guides or valve seals but I see no signs of trouble there we have a replacement engine ready to put in but I don't think this will solve this problem our shop is puzzled on this problem does anybody have any suggestions thanks
    Last edited by hebert131; 04-08-2010, 08:00 PM.
  • b-kenny2
    • Nov 2007

2004 f-150 4.6 oil consumption

Hi, Herbert, I would check the breather side of the PCV system for restrictions
    if You haven't already, as it sure sounds like a pcv system issue being that You have that much oil in the intake. If the breather side of the pcv system is restricted, I can see the pcv valve pulling oil through it at idle and on decell, when there is high manifold vacuum. Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...