Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lrparks
    • Jan 2014

verus edge locks up

I have a verus edge updated to 19.2 that when changing from one screen to another it will lock up once in awhile, have to remove battery then everything is normal again. Does anybody know of a fix without having to send it in to Snap-on, Thanks
    Last edited by lrparks; 09-19-2019, 09:33 AM.
  • tech25
    • Oct 2017

I havnt seen this problem on a edge.. but i dont have alot of experience with the verus edge..

that being said. with any windows related pc. temperature can be a problem. has the unit been very cold or hot when this happens??

also how is the battery condition/holding charge??

Comment

• Joe Rappa
      Snap-on DSD
      • Aug 2007

Before I sent anything in for repair I'd try calling Tech Support.
      If you don't want to do that, then re-image the unit. If it's a software problem, that will fix it.
      Joe
      "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
      Henry Ford

Comment

• Jay G.
        Administrator
        • Dec 2006

Originally posted by lrparks
        I have a verus edge updated to 19.2 that when changing from one screen to another it will lock up once in awhile, have to remove battery then everything is normal again. Does anybody know of a fix without having to send it in to Snap-on, Thanks
        It would be best to call the diagnostic support center and let them troubleshoot the problem.

Comment

• greasybob
          • May 2008

I have the problem of my Edge locking up too from time to time. I think it's mostly after switching vehicles and I think it might have something to do with not closing out the first vehicle.

Comment

• lrparks
            • Jan 2014

you may be right i know with the zeus you have to ciose out of the vehicle your working on before disconnecting it or you will have problems

Comment

• GypsyR
              • Jul 2017

My Edge is still on 17.4 and I haven't seen the issue. But now that you mention it, the up to date shop Zeus has locked up twice just as you describe. It gets used a lot more than my Edge though. (Same hardware)

Comment

• felmar
                • Sep 2017

mine is doing it and even if I closed the last vehicle , I remove the battery to start againg , I dont know the cause of this issue.

Comment

• jm43130
                  • Apr 2008

My Verus Edge is on 19.2, and it has started that locking up thing. Just when selecting another screen, not when changing vehicles or backing out. I have to hold power button, it then shuts down. But when I restart it , it comes to recover screen, and I just wait 30 seconds for timer to count down and it restart okay. If I had keyboard attached, I probably could select proper selection and bypass 30 second timer. Not a big deal, but it has only started doing this the last couple of weeks.

Comment

• JIMTUNE
                    • Dec 2011

I bought my Edge in 15, and it was a great machine, UNTIL I updated to 19.2, now it locks up, and is much slower than before the update. They changed the PID text to a gray color, as well as the graph text from white on black to gray on black. What kind of sense does that make? Tech support told me tough S%$t, and I will have to pay another 1500.00 and MAYBE they will "fix" the issues THEY created in the next update.

Now my dealer tells me tech support thinks I need a battery. Tried it on AC charging , same issue. Battery is 3+ weeks out and I will likely be without my tool until next year.

This does not encourage brand loyalty. Others I have talked to have same or similar experiences.

Comment

• Wheel
                      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by JIMTUNE
                      I bought my Edge in 15, and it was a great machine, UNTIL I updated to 19.2, now it locks up, and is much slower than before the update. They changed the PID text to a gray color, as well as the graph text from white on black to gray on black. What kind of sense does that make? Tech support told me tough S%$t, and I will have to pay another 1500.00 and MAYBE they will "fix" the issues THEY created in the next update.

Now my dealer tells me tech support thinks I need a battery. Tried it on AC charging , same issue. Battery is 3+ weeks out and I will likely be without my tool until next year.

This does not encourage brand loyalty. Others I have talked to have same or similar experiences.
                      The pid and graph change to gray from white is obviously a bad move with no way to change it on live screens. We are given these options on replay screens, why not on live ones? Obviously the people making these decisions DO NOT use the tools and WILL NOT listen to those who do.
                      You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• JIMTUNE
                        • Dec 2011

My dealer got me squared away with a new battery and re-imaged the tool. My tool has been re-imaged before, but this time it must have taken. It is early on, but so far so good. My dealer gets 5 stars, Snap On gets 1. Tech support on the company side, IMO, used to be outstanding, not now, not even close.

As far as design and changes, I agree, whomever is designing the interface and graphics with no options to get them where we want them, or at the very least, not making things WORSE, could not possibly have ever been an auto technician. Also, to have to send in a tool for what should be a simple in the field fix is ridiculous. I also think that process should be streamlined, because the guys I know waiting 1-2 months for their spendy scantools should not have to.

World class cost should come with world class service, from the bottom to the top.

Comment

Working...