Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums Diagnostic Home . Diagnostic Product Index . Customer Care        
Diagnostic SoftwareDiagnostic PlatformsAsk-a-Tech, Automotive Repair InformationTech Central
Go Back   Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums > Member General Discussion Forum > General Discussions > What Do You Want In Your Snap-on Diagnostic Tools
Home Today's Posts Register Members List FAQ
Thank you for visiting Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums.
You are currently NOT logged in to a registered account. Some functions of Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums will not be available to you if your are not logged in as a registered member. For a limited time only, registrationto Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums to Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums is !! FREE !! Select the    **REGISTER NOW**    link to register for your FREE Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums account!!

Old 06-03-2011, 04:37 PM

SnapOnKid Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryj View Post
the immobilizer systems will not prevent tow away thefts but they slow down joy rider thefts. Winnipeg Manitoba went from about 900 thefts per month in 2004 to 372 per month in 08. The theft rate is still falling. Part if this due to the much hated immobilizer program sponsored by the insurance company.

These stolen cars where being driven with a I don't care attitude and killing and injuring bystanders.
Don't worry. There letting all the non violent criminals back out since the can't affoard to watch them all. The numbers will go back up eventually as a result.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:46 AM

sbreland73 You made it!  You've done a great job ofearning reputation from your peers.  You now have secret access to a new hidden forum!

Default Anti-theft

OK, seems to be a bit of aggravation over this topic, and I can certainly agree, it stinks we as techs can't get in and diagnose/repair some of these systems.
CONSIDER THIS: A tech decides fixing cars is no longer what he/ she wants to do, they would rather steal them. If they own a scan tool that has these capabilities, then they are free to roam around and steal whatever they have access to. Also, if just any ole person can buy a scantool, then thieves would have easier access than they already have. My take on the matter is this: if a person REALLY wants your car, they ARE GOING TO FIND A WAY TO TAKE IT! So the manufactures are trying to limit who has easy access. One reason that a LICENSED LOCKSMITH has access to these systems, and can get key codes from the dealers. The wife and I both have Acuras, I hope we never have to have an issue with the immobilizer system, or its going to the dealer, but I am glad to know someone can't just stick a halfway made key in, and wait 30 minutes to burn off with my car (referring to GM lines, any one of us could circumvent that system easy). My 2 cents.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:07 PM

Wheel Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Default What did 11.4 cross off of YOUR needs list?

With the coming of 11.4 it's time to revive this good thread with the question -
What, if anything did 11.4 cross off of YOUR wants/needs list?
Any new additions to the list?
Old 10-13-2011, 05:19 PM

Trindaddy Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Default Some things that need attn:

1- 2004 Dodge Ram R2500 5.9l diesel Vin: 3D7KU28C94G183946

No access to HVAC module. No codes, no data, unable to diagnose intermittent operation of mode door/no defrost!

2- 2001 Volvo S60 2.4l non-turbo Vin: YV1RS61N112004640

No PCM data! Hangs and glitches when trying to see PCM data. Data for other available modules ok. This has happened on more than 1 Volvo we have scanned since it was introduced on the S.O. software. We have also opened a case with tech line many months ago.

We are using a Modis w/11.2. Just so ya know. Keep up the good work. Neil
Old 10-13-2011, 06:04 PM

SnapOnKid Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheel View Post
With the coming of 11.4 it's time to revive this good thread with the question -
What, if anything did 11.4 cross off of YOUR wants/needs list?
Any new additions to the list?
Im still waiting for my update... Hopefully this weekend...
Old 10-14-2011, 01:42 AM

ephratah service center Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

I just want Snap on to not take away any more of the test that are built in the tool and to display all the pids that are available.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:23 PM

Wheel Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

I just thought of something I would like - remember on the old Brick
when you just got that new cartridge only to find out there was a bug
in its software preventing you from scanning a given car? No problem, you just pop in your previous cartridge and go right back to work. Not so with the modern offerings.

With the more than adequate space available on the drives of the new tools, it would be nice if it could be arranged to have 1, 2, or more of your
previous updates available that you could readily access and fall back on
WHEN you encounter such a bug in your new software. Hey, buggy software is a fact of life and a feature such as this, while not perfect, might
at least help us finish a job we got started and not be caught with our pants down ( a truly ugly sight !! ) I know the legacy software sure helped
a lot of Modis users in the past - one reason I wouldn't mind buying another one someday.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
I just thought of something I would like - remember on the old Brick
when you just got that new cartridge only to find out there was a bug
in its software preventing you from scanning a given car? No problem, you just pop in your previous cartridge and go right back to work. Not so with the modern offerings.

With the more than adequate space available on the drives of the new tools, it would be nice if it could be arranged to have 1, 2, or more of your
previous updates available that you could readily access and fall back on
WHEN you encounter such a bug in your new software. Hey, buggy software is a fact of life and a feature such as this, while not perfect, might
at least help us finish a job we got started and not be caught with our pants down ( a truly ugly sight !! ) I know the legacy software sure helped
a lot of Modis users in the past - one reason I wouldn't mind buying another one someday.
Funny you mention the modis. My dealer received a modis that a customer bought back when they first came out. He had is own shop but sold the shop around the time he bought the scanner. He wants to trade it in for truck credit.... While its essentially brand new the software only covers up to 04 still trying to find out if the software can be brought up-to-date with out having to send it in for upgrades...
Old 10-15-2011, 07:54 AM

David Green Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapOnKid View Post
Don't worry. There letting all the non violent criminals back out since the can't affoard to watch them all. The numbers will go back up eventually as a result.
No need to two vehicles away anymore, I was at a police seminar a while back and they showed us how the criminals take the vehicles away today

They have a 16 pin harness and some sort of pickup ring on it, they plug into the vehicle and put a key in the ring then the vehicles computer scans it and codes it and then in seconds they start the vehicle anddrive off

Good old manufacturers, will supply anybody

David
Old 10-15-2011, 08:33 AM

DougMontgomery Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Quote:
With the more than adequate space available on the drives of the new tools, it would be nice if it could be arranged to have 1, 2, or more of your previous updates available that you could readily access and fall back on WHEN you encounter such a bug in your new software.
Wheel...such a feature is a nice. I have such a feature in my Launch Diagun...and sometimes I need to utilize it. Also, does S.O. have a logging capability? That feature is useful when a module does not show up, you can't communicate with a module or a error/crash occurs. You could email directly from the tool the log to S.O. and hopefully get an update to determine if it is fixed