Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • juniur
    • Oct 2016

RAP programming

anyone have experience with the remote assist programming? im exploring options.
  • Matt
    • Dec 2008

I have been paying the monthly $49.95 (waived if you perfom 2 flash events) for over a year and half now. Of course there is the actual software install charge of $125 per flash event, but you would retail that onto the customer. I have had good luck with this system. If software install demand increases in the future I may look into additional J2534 equipment, but currently it is the best way to outsource this task. I am pretty sure there is a newer ,RAP II, version available now as well. The first version that I currently use has a built in battery charger too. All you do is call and schedule the install. Pretty plug-N-play if you ask me.

Comment

• greasybob
      • May 2008

As I understand the RAP program they will not flash used modules. But will they help you if you are installing a used transmission ? With the programming when the TCM is part of the valve body and with the set when solenoids need calibrating ? Or am I incorrect about the whole used module thing ?

Comment

• jm43130
        • Apr 2008

I've had to do module programming on a Trailblazer that RAP wouldn't do because it involves removing 2 fuses to program and evidently RAP doesn't want to rely on operator to do it correctly. Also , just last week, I had to program a 2012 F150 transmission module that required a special procedure to force a reprogram of a ecm first because new TCM module was not recognized as a valid option. The procedure involved the first 5 or 6 steps to be performed with key off and just selecting Tick mark as normal. After it said to install new ECM, then you could turn key on and ECM reprogrammed as a new blank ECM. The new programming allowed it to accept new TCM calibrations. RAP wouldn't do this either. There was a little more to it than I put in this. But I had bulletin from trans supplier with how to do it.

Comment

• tech25
          • Oct 2017

if you are in the business of doing coding/programming, just learn and do it yourself. otherwise dont do it. this is nothing new, shops have been doing this for decades. plus... its always good to learn something new to add to your skill set.

Comment

• sbreland73
            • Jan 2009

Like learning the use of a Shift button.
            S. Breland

Comment

• juniur
              • Oct 2016

I already do programming on ford and GM with a vci. The issue is having to navigate and learn so many different manufacturers websites and systems. There's more to it than "learning to program" we work on all makes except european. We also do medium duty work as well class 4-7 and school buses.

Comment

• juniur
                • Oct 2016

Originally posted by greasybob
                As I understand the RAP program they will not flash used modules. But will they help you if you are installing a used transmission ? With the programming when the TCM is part of the valve body and with the set when solenoids need calibrating ? Or am I incorrect about the whole used module thing ?
                Its my understanding that company will not warranty used module programming

Comment

• juniur
                  • Oct 2016

Originally posted by jm43130
                  I've had to do module programming on a Trailblazer that RAP wouldn't do because it involves removing 2 fuses to program and evidently RAP doesn't want to rely on operator to do it correctly. Also , just last week, I had to program a 2012 F150 transmission module that required a special procedure to force a reprogram of a ecm first because new TCM module was not recognized as a valid option. The procedure involved the first 5 or 6 steps to be performed with key off and just selecting Tick mark as normal. After it said to install new ECM, then you could turn key on and ECM reprogrammed as a new blank ECM. The new programming allowed it to accept new TCM calibrations. RAP wouldn't do this either. There was a little more to it than I put in this. But I had bulletin from trans supplier with how to do it.
                  are you talking about as built data? thats not unusual on a ford

Comment

• tech25
                    • Oct 2017

Originally posted by juniur
                    I already do programming on ford and GM with a vci. The issue is having to navigate and learn so many different manufacturers websites and systems. There's more to it than "learning to program" we work on all makes except european. We also do medium duty work as well class 4-7 and school buses.
                    You are correct. Each Make is different. If all you can do is IDS, and GDS2/Tech2. Then stick with what you know.

If you feel you cant do it, then dont. You could mess something up.

Comment

• jm43130
                      • Apr 2008

Did anybody notice that Snapon is coming out with the Pass Thru Assistant for programming. Guess what? Its Drewtech Rap system, that they have repackage d into their own system, .Just like their Pass Thru Pro are all Drewtech J2534 devices. Price is the same , Except FCA is going to be $190.00 now. They even want to charge you to check if a later update is available, $40.00 to $60.. for that. Gm, Ford , and Fca all have that for free, you just have to know where to look for it.
                      Go to Snapons equipment page, search for Pass Thru Assistant, scroll down to where it says service agreement and open that and read it.

Comment

Working...