Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mysticunicorn66
    • Feb 2012

Question regarding tools and Shopstream Program

We are using this in a teaching auto bay. The program is installed on multiple computers. My question is, can I only use a specific tool on a specific computer and not on any other computers in the auto bay? In other words, is the program computer specific (one device to one computer). We have different devices and not sure if it the scan tools will work on multiple computers that have the program installed. Does anybody have experience in an environment like this?
  • Bob's Garage
    • Nov 2007

SSC answer

Yes, you can run SSC on as many computers as you want. No problem.

You can use any Snap-on tool on any computer with SSC also and move the tools around between computers no problem.

Bob

Comment

• Crusty
      • Dec 2007

I would suggest you make new folders inside the existing SSC folders that are started as Modis, Solus, Solus-Pro, etc
      You can identify the folders by their name depending on what works for you
      I use Customer name, then vehicle, then data group, etc, then in the last folder where I save the files from that scan or scope session today, I put the DATE in the folder name.
      Example;
      - -Bob's Garage
      - -1997 Pathfinder
      - -Engine
      - -EVAP
      - -Apr-18-12 EVAP.......then the screen shots and movies inside this last dated folder. They'll never repeat and they can be found easily.

You might use a manufacturer as the first sub-folder, then tier down from there.
      Example;
      - -FORD
      - -F-150
      Here's where this method can get tricky. Obviously there are lots of F-150's on the road so somehow you probably would want to keep some separate from others. Some "known good" and some with particular maladies.
      The VIN as a folder here might work.
      - -1FExxxxxxxxxx0001
      - -ABS
      - -Apr-18-12 ABS OK
      - -Apr-19-12 ABS LF No Good
      - -Engine
      - -Misfire
      - -Apr-12-12 Misfires cold
      - -Apr-20-12 Misfires hot

Once you collect a bunch of known good and known bad files, figuring out how to retrieve them becomes the problem.

Once you have your folders with sub-folders and then data in folders, you can use a USB-stick and copy them over to several other computers where the SSC program can display them.
      HTH

Comment

• sbreland73
        • Jan 2009

I see you finally got SSC to install, that's good. What was the fix?
        S. Breland

Comment

• mysticunicorn66
          • Feb 2012

@sbreland: Never could get the program to install on those old computers. We upgraded to new computers. I just did an OS install from scratch and installed it and it installed just fine. Evidently, some other Windows file(s) were corrupted on the old computers to the point the they would boot up, login, but not work perfectly (wouldn't update and all). Anyway, it is installed on the new computers and running. I checked with the instructor for the class and he said that it needs admin privileges to install the different hardware (connectors) so they can be used. Just need to arrange a time to get those connectors when they are not in use and login with admin credentials and connect each of the connectors to let it install what it needs to in order to get the connectors to work with the program. Hopefully, that will get the program working for the user (which doesn't have admin rights).
          Last edited by mysticunicorn66; 04-24-2012, 09:02 AM.

Comment

• Bob's Garage
            • Nov 2007

Crusty filing system

Originally posted by Crusty
            I would suggest you make new folders inside the existing SSC folders that are started as Modis, Solus, Solus-Pro, etc....~

~Once you have your folders with sub-folders and then data in folders, you can use a USB-stick and copy them over to several other computers where the SSC program can display them.
            HTH
            Hey Jay,

That was a great tutorial on your way of storing files. Good stuff, makes sense.

Thanks, Bob

Comment

• Crusty
              • Dec 2007

Hey Bob
              Thanks for the compliment.

It is just common sense for humans to use a "file structure" that WE can remember, rather than a series of numbers.
              Obviously the machines need to use some sort of binary code, but WE need to be able to find saved files later.

For us to "recall" grouped files, we need to sort them by, customer name, vehicle type, serial number (but that's another number sequence, at least it does have a STANDARD coding to it) or for some who are instructors, it might make some sense to group things like MAF sensors together, or ABS sensors, or Injector waveforms, or Fuel pumps, etc.

NOT ALL snapOn machines have a sensical method of naming files. The Solus-Pro allows you to select a series of pre-configured names like year, make, model, component, but it quite often doesn't properly "fit" what it is we're saving, AND it also slows down the process of saving data and returning QUICKLY to live data (so we don't miss the glitch.....that NEVER happens when we turn our attention away from live data for a second or two....LOL)

The bottom right corner of my computer screen has a date, and if that is used in the folder name, it'll never repeat, unless you're taking a vehicle for multiple test drives, but you can always add -A, -B, -C and have 26 versions of the basically the same folder name such as
              2001 Venture ---- ABS ---- WHL-SPD-Sensors Apr-27-12-A,
              , then WHL-SPD-Sensors Apr-27-12-B,
              , and if one is disciplined enough to save the files to those folders every day or, even better, after every road test, they'll be RETRIEVABLE.

You could even add to the folder name , WHL-SPD-Sensors Apr-27-12-C BAD , which would stand out from the others. Hey, sensors ALWAYS glitch exactly when we want them to, don't they....LOL

Here's what you could see on your computer screen.....

WHL-SPD-Sensors Apr-27-12-A
              WHL-SPD-Sensors Apr-27-12-B
              WHL-SPD-Sensors Apr-27-12-C BAD
              WHL-SPD-Sensors Apr-27-12-D Glitch
              WHL-SPD-Sensors Apr-27-12-E fixed.

See how easy it is to FIND someting later??
              What's the point in being able to record something if you can't look at it later.... and to be able to look at it later, we have to be able to FIND it.

Boy, am I ever glad they allowed folder and filenames to be (is it 56 characters??) rather than the old DOS limitation of only 8 characters....THAT was a challenge to keep things organized.

HTH

Comment

Working...