Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums Diagnostic Home . Diagnostic Product Index . Customer Care        
Diagnostic SoftwareDiagnostic PlatformsAsk-a-Tech, Automotive Repair InformationTech Central
Go Back   Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums > Member General Discussion Forum > General Discussions > Australian Member User Group
Home Today's Posts Register Members List FAQ
Thank you for visiting Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums.
You are currently NOT logged in to a registered account. Some functions of Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums will not be available to you if your are not logged in as a registered member. For a limited time only, registrationto Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums to Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums is !! FREE !! Select the    **REGISTER NOW**    link to register for your FREE Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums account!!

Old 10-31-2012, 12:37 PM

Aaron Dutton Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Default Nissan Diesel vibration/running rough

I have been battling a vibration / similar to a Lockup shudder in a 97 Nissan Regulus RR50 Diesel 4WHD RE4R01A which comes in at 85-95 kmh . and then dissapears above this speed. Deleting the lockup gets rid of the problem,the owner says disconnecting the speedo also overcomes the vibration (he says the lockup still works, I have verified this),we removed the T/Conv and had it reco'd, but the report was that it was in very good order-refitted but problem remained. We tried another rear driveshaft, rear mount,air flow meter, -no improvement. We removed the front driveshaft,and front 1/2 shafts & drove the vehicle -(still vibrating) we disconnected the transfer case wiring and found some improvement and then decided to fit another transfer case - still no solution.(In hindsight it may have improved because the speedo was disconnected,engine is slightly"fluffy" with the speedo disconnected-but the vibe is almost gone) We tried another engine computer also.Customer has taken vehicle and installed a switch to delete the speedo, but would like me to try and resolve the problem. Have talked with another rebuilder here who also has a Nisssan Mistral doing the same thing-he has Overhauled the transmission (still shuddering/vibrating) he has sent it to a diesel expert and also a auto/electrical guru with no success, he has now disconnected the Lock/up also. Have you heard of any issues on these vehicles? I have come to the point of thinking the problem is in the engine, perhaps the engine is not running on all cyls when the vibe occurs, can you suggest a way of monitoring the motor when the problem occurs, to see if it is looseing a cylinder -(Diesel with electronic fuel pump) The owner is of the opinion that the problem appeared sometime after he had the injectors serviced. Do you have any suggestions, thanks for your help , Aaron
Nissan Regulus 1997
140,000 kms
J # AT9954
JRR50-005904
JVRWRTAR50UDAW
QD32
RE4R01A
ECU 23710-1W411
TCM 31036-1W410
Air Flow 22680-2J200
AFH70-14
7213 Hitachi
Old 10-31-2012, 01:54 PM

diesel71 Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Aaron although i never work on these type of diesels one thing comes to my mind. would there happin to be a dual flex plate or 2 piece flex plate on this engine? the reason i ask is because the 6.7 dodges have a dual mass flywheel that can become unbalanced when the springs break. when this happens it causes injector miss/vibrations/shuddering. If this vehicle has a cam and or crank sensor id scope them and look for small humps not drop-outs on the scope.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:27 PM

Aaron Dutton Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Thanks I'll look at that, good idea.
Old 12-26-2016, 11:53 PM

goz007 Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

not farmilar with this vehcile....but u say that the problem goes away when the speedo is disconected? if this is the case is the speedo electronic or mechanical ? if mechanical what is running it & if electrical also what is its controler?strange that the issue only occers at a certain speed then goes away & even stranger that disconnecting the speedo also makes it disapiar.