X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

P1706 code and no D4 indicator light 98 Honda CRV

157k miles typical harsh Crappy Honda automatic engagement with a shudder felt on upshift from 1-2, but other wise has all gears and gear shift indicator illuminates for every position except D4. My scanner pids shows me each gear position I select including D4, but I got a P1706 code related to open A/T gear position sensor, so I follow the pinpoint tests of the range sensor from one of the instrument cluster connectors and everything checks out till I check cavity 14 Lt. Grn wire which is supposed to have 5 volts in all positions except park and neutral, however testing park and neutral also had 5V. Well what should voltage on light green wire from PCM be in Nuetral and Park then? Was I supposed to not bother testing voltage of that wire at all in nuetral and park?
    I don't want to replace the PCM unnecessarily. How can I physically test integrity of the D4 illumination first if there is no scanner Bi directional bulb test or instructions to access gear indicator bulbs in B@shell OD, so You tube to the rescue again.Though you might want to start at the 14 minute mark of the vid, and you don't need to take the whole cluster apart, LMAO. Local Honda dealer didn't have special $7 bulbs in stock, so I just swapped D1 bulb with D4 and slapped it together, D4 illuminates, cleared code , drove and completed enough monitors to get car through test lane and get a new sticker. Sure glad I didn't replace the PCM like the chart led me to have a doubt about.

Attached Files
Working...