What test or features would you like to see added to you Snap On Diagnostic tools

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wheel
    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by greasybob
    I think that horse has decomposed.

Yes, but is the stench the dead horse or the corporate bean counters? all those beans are being used somewhere that they are hiding.

Interesting concept though. Instead of ten different platforms (scanners). One scanner with different (optional) viewing formats.
    I and others gave them lots of good reasons why the option to view LIVE
    data in Shopstream's format is an advantage, but no one ranking high enough in the Snap On corporate hierarchy cares what their customers think or want. I am just thankful that they left Shopstream pretty much alone
    other than genuinely improving it by slowly ironing out the bugs in a system that truly worked rather than giving it a total facelift that nobody asked for.
    You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• greasybob
      • May 2008

Great new idea !!!! You know when you auto ID a vehicle with your scanner ? How about a pop up screen that says " A Previous Entry Of This Vehicle Has Been Found, Would You Like to Continue With This Or Start A New One ? It would have to do a VIN search but with todays scanners that shouldn't take more than a few nano seconds.

Comment

• Witsend
        Banned
        • Nov 2012

If you plan to see how recently it last came in and what for, other than that, I don't want more **** being saved then necessary. Port Freight 08 remembers old vins that can save you a little extra time typing on older cars on initial entry, Just wish the F'N thing would remember the same VIN I entered minutes before when I go to save things and I have to type in the VIN again along with a file name. ex Turd 1 Turd 2 or Turd3

Comment

• greasybob
          • May 2008

It would be an easy way to check vehicle history. before you begin work. Check saved data, past codes, date last worked on and miles if entered.

Comment

• Trindaddy
            • Jan 2010

Actuator test 2004 Tacoma 3.4 Auto 4wd

Had to break out 8+ yr old Launch x431 to have ability to actuate Canister pressure control VSV (bypass) valve! Has evap (purge) and CCV VSV but no bypass on my 16.2 loaded Modis Ultra. Done in minutes after toiling over how to completely test bypass valve and ECM control of it. Thought it wasn't offered by OEM but there it is on the old Launch..disappointing.

Vin: 5TEHN72N94Z402580

Comment

• greasybob
              • May 2008

The setup procedure for GM Body Control modules. The older Impalas. G6, Malibu's and such where it wasn't an SPS programming, just enter the VIN, maybe the mileage and check the correct RPO's. It's been 10 years or so since these were new but they made millions of them so they'll be around for a while and BCM failures are common.

Comment

• greasybob
                • May 2008

I've mentioned it before, the thing that is needed now more than ever is the ability to save the data when performing functional tests. Some of these tests and resets can take as long as an hour to perform. It's not practical to remain at the scanner during the duration of these tests, such as diesel regenerations but if the test fails or interrupted by an out of spec parameter it would be nice to be able to go back over the data to see what tripped the trigger. I include a data shot below of a DEF fluid quality test I was performing on a 12 duramax, which can take some time to complete, You can see the PIDS I graphed and why you might want to look at history of the test if it fails, or just to see the cause and effects as various devices are activated during the test.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Crusty
                  • Dec 2007

Bob, you just hit on my constant request for the machines to NOT DUMP THE SAVED DATA BUFFER WHEN THE SCANNER RECIEVES NO COMM.
                  The ECM is either finished, or not happy with something, completes and shuts down..... we get a "NO COMM" message.
                  We turn the ignition on again (or whatever we have to do to re-establish communications) and all the data that WAS available is wiped clean.
                  Now we HAVE TO waste time, sitting there watching the screen, doing the same test AGAIN, for possibly an hour, HOPING to catch, or save a movie that captures the event that the ECM wasn't happy with.

A classic example is the Key-Off evap natural vacuum self testing. We have no warning, nor any way of knowing when, nor why, the self test either completes or aborts.

Simple solution.... DON'T DUMP THE BUFFER until we acknowledge that we want to clear the data and start all over AGAIN.

Comment

• SnapOnKid
                    • Jan 2011

I would like the ability to update my tool list on this Web site...

Comment

• greasybob
                      • May 2008

Maybe it's just me but it seems that there is no function to program key fobs to 2014 and newer GM cars and trucks ? I know the remote functions were moved to the BCM from the RCDLR. Am I missing something or did Snap ON over look this rather basic function ? I have a 2016 Canyon here right now, nothing that I see in the menu to support this. Software 17.4 Verus Edge.

Comment

• Glide
                        • Jan 2015

I would like to be able to enter security pin when replacing Dodge ECM,a recent example is 2002 Dodge Ram.I have Solus Ultra 17.4.
                        I can do this with some other brands,why not Dodge?

Comment

• greasybob
                          • May 2008

So I couldn't get the 2016 GMC Canyon key Fobs programmed with the Snap On software as I could not find the function in any of the menus. Let's try the GDS with the PASS THRU 3. GDS is not the quickest thing to operate but in just 6 easy steps I got the Fobs learned to the vehicle. Adding Fobs for GM vehicles is almost a weekly thing around here, Snap On should add this function for the 2014 and newer GMs. I did not see any on board vehicle function for this either.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Witsend
                            Banned
                            • Nov 2012

So I couldn't get the 2016 GMC Canyon key Fobs programmed with the Snap On software as I could not find the function in any of the menus. Let's try the GDS with the PASS THRU 3. GDS is not the quickest thing to operate but in just 6 easy steps I got the Fobs learned to the vehicle. Adding Fobs for GM vehicles is almost a weekly thing around here, Snap On should add this function for the 2014 and newer GMs. I did not see any on board vehicle function for this either.
                            Bob GDS ? Can't do it with the Hyundai tool. The GDS that did it must a been that Chinese four letter word Lunch box . You mean you didn't get your LSID and purchase a GM sub and use your PTP3 to do it? Don't make that a habit or you might fall from grace from the powers that be

Comment

• greasybob
                              • May 2008

GDS 2 is the GM scanner run through the Pass Thru 3. It's a subscription thing. I hadn't used it in a while so I thought I would see where the FOB learn function was. I'll see what other functions Snap ON is missing while I Have the subscription. I think that if I worked in a GM shop I would still want a Snap On scanner, GDS 2 and the Tech 2 before it had great functions but the graphing and data format left a lot to be desired. I think that the diagnostic approach in a GM shop, or any OEM shop is different than what you use in an independent shop.

Comment

• Witsend
                                Banned
                                • Nov 2012

GDS 2 is the GM scanner run through the Pass Thru 3. It's a subscription thing. I hadn't used it in a while so I thought I would see where the FOB learn function was. I'll see what other functions Snap ON is missing while I Have the subscription. I think that if I worked in a GM shop I would still want a Snap On scanner, GDS 2 and the Tech 2 before it had great functions but the graphing and data format left a lot to be desired. I think that the diagnostic approach in a GM shop, or any OEM shop is different than what you use in an independent shop.
                                Yesterday 08:43 AM
                                Witsend
                                Quote:

Thanks Bob. A larger shop with more than a couple techs that does a lot of GMs it would probably just make sense to just buy an annual subscription for the $775 then having all the techs trying a Chinese scanner that when hit or miss functions doesn't work or provide good enough direction , you end up having to buy a separate 3 day subs every time that happens. Over the course of a year, that might approach the $ expense of an annual subscription and still not take into account all the time it took to go through the motions of trying and then buying all the separate 3 day subs.

Comment

Working...