Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Prezauto
    • Dec 2014

Need help with a Drive image for a Verus 323

As some already know from my previous posts I botched up my 323. While doing a ram upgrade I managed to pull the video connector loose from the motherboard. In the process of trying to switch it to external monitor mode the hard drive took a dump.

I've located a new video connector and have someone to install it. I've also connected the HDD to a pc running on WinXP with an external adapter and it doesn't spin, click, or beep. Tried to reflow the HDD PCB with the oven trick or "baking" with the same results. Still may try buying a replacement PCB online, but in case that's a bust I'd like a plan b.

I believe in order to get my Verus working I need an image to clone a new hard drive. As for there being a problem with tool serial numbers, that info should be embedded in the CPU (correct me if I'm wrong). Software version shouldn't really matter either as if I had a working drive and did a reimage of it I'd have to reinstall my software via download and could only get the latest 12.4 & euro as that's what the tool is registered for, right.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. Also, I'm trying to avoid sending it in simply because my budget won't allow for a likely $3k bill since an update is mandatory for repair when I just bought it for $2k.
    John
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

Have you tried another hard drive on your adapter thing to verify if adapter power supply might be faulty.
    Those adapters need an external 5v power supply plugged into to drive besides the adapter with the USB cord.

I think some of the Verus had PATA drives that pre-dated SATA drives. I'm wondering if you sent it out for repair with old drive in a bag and the New Solid State drive and ram pre installed , if they could try a known good used MOBO and reimage the SSD with 12.4 again for under a $1000?

Comment

• Prezauto
      • Dec 2014

I opened the tower on the PC and used PSU SATA power connector with a USB SATA data adapter. In the tool with external monitor it kept giving a operating system not found and no noises or spinning just like when attached to the PC.
      John

Comment

• Witsend
        Banned
        • Nov 2012

Maybe a tiny jumper on it that would have to be moved to "slave" position?

Comment

• sbreland73
          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Witsend
          Maybe a tiny jumper on it that would have to be moved to "slave" position?
          All the Verus units use SATA = no jumpers for cable position.
          S. Breland

Comment

• sbreland73
            • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Prezauto
            As some already know from my previous posts I botched up my 323. While doing a ram upgrade I managed to pull the video connector loose from the motherboard. In the process of trying to switch it to external monitor mode the hard drive took a dump.

I've located a new video connector and have someone to install it. I've also connected the HDD to a pc running on WinXP with an external adapter and it doesn't spin, click, or beep. Tried to reflow the HDD PCB with the oven trick or "baking" with the same results. Still may try buying a replacement PCB online, but in case that's a bust I'd like a plan b.

I believe in order to get my Verus working I need an image to clone a new hard drive. As for there being a problem with tool serial numbers, that info should be embedded in the CPU (correct me if I'm wrong). Software version shouldn't really matter either as if I had a working drive and did a reimage of it I'd have to reinstall my software via download and could only get the latest 12.4 & euro as that's what the tool is registered for, right.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. Also, I'm trying to avoid sending it in simply because my budget won't allow for a likely $3k bill since an update is mandatory for repair when I just bought it for $2k.

While not in your budget, this is going to be your solution. Unless you can actually repair the failed drive. Best of luck to you.
            S. Breland

Comment

• Witsend
              Banned
              • Nov 2012

[QUOTE]As some already know from my previous posts I botched up my 323. While doing a ram upgrade I managed to pull the video connector loose from the motherboard. In the process of trying to switch it to external monitor mode the hard drive took a dump.

[/QUOTE

If you send it out, you know you will spend at least $300 inspection to be told it Needs a MOBO, a new hard drive , because a board ribbon connector came off board with the ribbon. You could spend the 3 grand , but They likely won't be willing to put in larger ram then it originally came with or a SSD.You will basically still have a 10 year old platform with the 7 year old platform's MOBO , hardrive and ram .
              If it were me, and I couldn't repair the drive, I would cut my losses and sell on Ebay for sum of parts .
              3 grand is a tough call for a older SO platform , when you can go buy a new MS Pro with a quad core processor,

Comment

• Prezauto
                • Dec 2014

If you send it out, you know you will spend at least $300 inspection to be told it Needs a MOBO, a new hard drive , because a board ribbon connector came off board with the ribbon.
                I'm getting a new connector installed on the MOBO, so no problem there (provided I can get the HDD issue solved).

While not in your budget, this is going to be your solution. Unless you can actually repair the failed drive. Best of luck to you.
                So no chance that a drive image from another tool, with my software authorization will work at all? I read all of the other threads I could find pertaining to this, but didn't see where it had been successful or not.

If it were me, and I couldn't repair the drive, I would cut my losses and sell on Ebay for sum of parts .
                3 grand is a tough call for a older SO platform , when you can go buy a new MS Pro with a quad core processor,
                That's my last resort, but I've yet to see any individual units sold for parts or separated parts either.
                John

Comment

• Witsend
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2012

I hope the motherboard connector replacement does the trick. Maybe hard drive is fine and has some sort of military spec Windows security feature where HD will flat out refuse to spin unless it receives a code from a MOBO component.
                  Just protect the hard drive , ram , and MOBO from static electricity and magnetic tipped screw drivers, I would change the 2 CMOS batteries next to the Ram module before reassembly.(last picture looks like batteries next to ram )

Last edited by Witsend; 03-02-2015, 11:29 AM.

Comment

• Prezauto
                    • Dec 2014

I hope the motherboard connector replacement does the trick. Maybe hard drive is fine and has some sort of military spec Windows security feature where HD will flat out refuse to spin unless it receives a code from a MOBO component.
                    Just protect the hard drive , ram , and MOBO from static electricity and magnetic tipped screw drivers, I would change the 2 CMOS batteries next to the Ram module before reassembly.(last picture looks like batteries next to ram )

http://productforum.autorepairdata.c...ead.php?t=3771
                    That would be nice though I doubt that's the case, as it was working in the tool for a dozen or more boot cycles with the external monitor...then suddenly one boot it said NO OS found.
                    John

Comment

• Witsend
                      Banned
                      • Nov 2012

After you replace the MOBO connector for the screen Ribbon, if the drive is bad , Call tech support and see if it would be possible and about how much $ for them to attempt to install the OS on a new Solid State Drive and larger memory already installed in it, and update it to 15.2 if the unit main screen and other hardware off the MOBO all check out ok before updating.
                      Will SO even attempt repairs to a Verus with a new SSD and larger memory inside it?
                      Last edited by Witsend; 03-02-2015, 01:08 PM.

Comment

• Prezauto
                        • Dec 2014

After you replace the MOBO connector for the screen Ribbon, if the drive is bad , Call tech support and see if it would be possible and about how much $ for them to attempt to install the OS on a new Solid State Drive and larger memory already installed in it, and update it to 15.2 if the unit main screen and other hardware off the MOBO all check out ok before updating.
                        Will SO even attempt repairs to a Verus with a new SSD and larger memory inside it?
                        Well I was able to get contact info for the original owner's dealer, hope to contact him tomorrow. My dealer is new and admitted he doesn't know much about diagnostic tools but gave me contact info for another dealer or rep who should be able to help.

I'm hoping that sbreland73 will chime in again and shed some light on my question that I asked him earlier based on his post in another thread about a year ago.

Originally posted by sbreland73
                        If the owner of the failed Verus had a backup of their license file, then they could use an image, just replace the license file from the image with their own. And yes, one should ALWAYS do a regular backup!
                        Is the aforementioned "license file" referring to the windows license file? Does anyone know if this has been done successfully?
                        Last edited by Prezauto; 03-02-2015, 06:37 PM.
                        John

Comment

• sbreland73
                          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Prezauto
                          I'm hoping that sbreland73 will chime in again and shed some light on my question that I asked him earlier based on his post in another thread about a year ago.

Does anyone know if this has been done successfully?
                          Sorry, I have no knowledge of this actually being done. The image file size is something in the area of nine to eleven gigabytes. I would call Techsupport again and ask for escalated service, to ask if someone could give you the level price for a "drive replacement" action. Assuming you get the video connector issue resolved.

AS Witsend stated above, also ask if they would install XP on an SSD of your own. I doubt they will as they most likely follow a protocol.
                          S. Breland

Comment

• Prezauto
                            • Dec 2014

Originally posted by sbreland73
                            Sorry, I have no knowledge of this actually being done. The image file size is something in the area of nine to eleven gigabytes. I would call Techsupport again and ask for escalated service, to ask if someone could give you the level price for a "drive replacement" action. Assuming you get the video connector issue resolved.

AS Witsend stated above, also ask if they would install XP on an SSD of your own. I doubt they will as they most likely follow a protocol.
                            Gotcha, Thank you for your assistance, you have no idea how much I appreciate it.
                            John

Comment

• Prezauto
                              • Dec 2014

Just got off the phone with SO tech support, $675 for a drive replacement & no update required, I'm stoked. First order of business will be to clone it to a SSD or hybrid. Of course this will all be after video connector repair...fingers crossed. Still patiently awaiting the arrival of the replacement connector.
                              John

Comment

Working...