Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David Green
    • Oct 2009

Verdict d7

I bought it a couple of years ago with software 18.4 from my snap on rep. I was never sure that 18.4 should have been loaded to the XP platform. I could see in his face worry when promoting the scanner to me at the point of sale, wondering if the software was too much for the platform?

Putting that aside the scanner has worked fine without problems until Monday this week. I turned the scanner on and the desktop lite up with the bios information. I'd never seen that before and the scanner would do nothing. On the screen I was advised to press F1, so using a keyboard I did and then the scanner started to boot up, but a message came on the desktop advising that an error had occurred and assistance was required.

I rang our snap on scanlines and they advised they don't support the D7. The guy was not forthcoming advising me what to do if anything to get the scanner up and running. I waited for my snap on guy to turn up and showed him the problem. He said he was clueless and tried to sell me another scanner for £2000.

I kept asking myself waht could have gone wrong so quickly with this scanner? I rang scanlines again today and spoke to another guy, who was much more helpful. He asked me to tell him the date and time on the scanner, so I did, the scanner had defaulted to 01/01/07. He then told me there is a battery inside the scanner if I remove the back panel. Sure as eggs are eggs, there is a CR2032 (3V) battery in there. This battery once flat will stop the D7 working, and I mean stop it working full stop. The impression given is that a critical error has occurred and the scanner is scrap. Not so, just needs battery, however to change the battery a CR2032 battery holder will be required as snap on seem to spot weld the metal tags to the battery, which can be reused once removed, or so it seems.

If there is anyone out there who knows of a battery holder that I can connect the two wires to and plug back into the motherboard, then I'm all ears, thank you very much if you can help.
  • Joe Rappa
    Snap-on DSD
    • Aug 2007

I'm betting you can find a small electronics repair shop near you that can fix that battery problem for you. I know I'd probably break something if I attempted that repair myself.
    Joe
    "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
    Henry Ford

Comment

• David Green
      • Oct 2009

I've carried out the repair Joe. Snap On used two metal strips one of each for positive and negative connected to the battery. I peeled the metal strips off cleaned them up and glued them to a new battery. Then I put some heat shrink round the battery to seal it. Reset the date and time and the scanner works fine again.

Saved myself £2000 and spent a pound.

Comment

• Joe Rappa
        Snap-on DSD
        • Aug 2007

Originally posted by David Green
        I've carried out the repair Joe. Snap On used two metal strips one of each for positive and negative connected to the battery. I peeled the metal strips off cleaned them up and glued them to a new battery. Then I put some heat shrink round the battery to seal it. Reset the date and time and the scanner works fine again.

Saved myself £2000 and spent a pound.
        That's great news. It'd be a shame if it had to get tossed out over a BIOS battery.

Joe
        Henry Ford

Comment

• David Green
          • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Joe Rappa
          That's great news. It'd be a shame if it had to get tossed out over a BIOS battery.

Joe
          Thanks Joe, another shock yesterday with the scanner, it actually has the software capability for programming some ECU's

Comment

• Joe Rappa
            Snap-on DSD
            • Aug 2007

Double bonus!
            Joe
            Henry Ford

Comment

Working...