Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jmsmith76
    • Oct 2020

No Connection to Ford 7.3

New user here. Also new to SO diag tools and just bought a new Verus Edge from my rep yesterday. The unit was a warranty replacement from a trade in he had and I got a great deal on it. The SM3 it came with was used and was giving me driver errors at first when plugging up to USB. I reinstalled drivers and got it working and paired. So far it has worked great on a couple of 6.7 Powerstrokes and a 2015 F150, but I went to plug it up to a 2001 7.3 Powerstroke today and can’t get it to work. The vehicle link light on the SM3 lights up solid when connected to the vehicle, I go through manual vehicle ID and choose Data Display for engine, says collecting data from vehicle and nothing ever happens. The vehicle link light on the scan module starts flashing at this point as well. I made it past this screen one time and all the PIDs showed “N/A”. I have attempted with Bluetooth connection and with USB cable. My old tool (autoenginuity) connects to the truck and pulls data without issue. Am I doing something wrong? Anything else I can try before I call support on Monday? Thanks
  • BRIAN617
    • Dec 2016

I've had trouble with those 7.3 powerstroke trucks for years. Usually cycling the key a few times works. Hell many times it will kill the engine if trying to id while engine is running. Something about those older PCMs and their software.

Comment

• diesel71
      • Feb 2008

when you plug into a 7.3 you will need to cycle the key after you id the vehicle.

Comment

• jmsmith76
        • Oct 2020

Thanks for the replies guys. I tried cycling the key a few times throughout the process. I also called support and they told me the key needed to be cycled right before you hit continue on the last step. I was able to pull codes but was never able to get connected to the vehicle to read live data. Had to use AE to verify repairs and send the vehicle on with the customer. Fairly disappointing for a high dollar scan tool. Will try more next time a 7.3 comes in.

Comment

Working...