Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greasybob
    • May 2008

GM Radio Lock Theft Code ?

Ok, so were all familiar with the old GM radios that had the code that you extracted and then called the dealer to get the unlock code. But this is a 2017 Silverado 2500 with an I03 radio. I installed a used replacement radio and was waiting for the theft lock screen and then prepare to flash the radio to unlock it. Instead I get this this screen asking for a code ? Never seen this before after installing plenty of replacement GM radios over the years. What you think ? Just procede with normal SPS programming procedure or can I save $45 ? Any idea where to get the code ?
    Attached Files
  • bestdamgarage
    • Apr 2016

Good chance its global and you would need to eeprom it.

Comment

• Glide
      • Jan 2015

I'd call your local dealer,they might give you the code.Some of the older GM radios had unlock codes,and when I worked at GM dealerships we had to call for radio unlock codes.

Edit: found this in service info

Valet Mode Reset
      Verify no DTCs are set.

If any DTCs are set
      Refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle.

If no DTCs are set

Select the Radio Configuration/Reset Function Erase Valet Mode Code with the scan tool.
      Select Clear and confirm the selection to erase the code.

Comment

• greasybob
        • May 2008

I came in this morning and could not find that enter code screen back, just theft lock so I went ahead and did the SPS2 programming to unlock the radio and all is good now. Not sure where that enter code screen came from, never seen it before and will probably never see it again.

While GM does not recommend reusing any module, only some modules are locked. IPC, SDM, ECM, BCM, HVAC and Steering Column Lock Module are for sure not reusable. Not sure if an EEPROM re-write could correct this. Never tried.

Comment

• SnapOnKid
          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by greasybob
          I came in this morning and could not find that enter code screen back, just theft lock so I went ahead and did the SPS2 programming to unlock the radio and all is good now. Not sure where that enter code screen came from, never seen it before and will probably never see it again.

While GM does not recommend reusing any module, only some modules are locked. IPC, SDM, ECM, BCM, HVAC and Steering Column Lock Module are for sure not reusable. Not sure if an EEPROM re-write could correct this. Never tried.
          On Which years? On the GMT 800 trucks you can rewrite just about every module. The only thing they don't allow is reprogram of miles on the IPC and I think the SRS module can not be reprogrammed. You need 3rd party software to do that. I know I have re-written the ECM on the GMT900 but they have to be exact. The BCM are usually junk any way and were cheap enough to get new for a while since they were such an issue, not sure if they still are.

Comment

• Glide
            • Jan 2015

'14 and up "Global Electrical Architecture " trucks.

Comment

• SnapOnKid
              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Glide
              '14 and up "Global Electrical Architecture " trucks.
              Thanks! I have not Played with one of those yet on the programing side.

Comment

Working...