Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wheel
    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Rickee
    I prefer to use the standard acronyms- DSAB for the Driver 'Side Airbag', and DAB for the Driver's Airbag in the horn pad. It makes them a little less confusing that way. PAB and PSAB for the other side of the car. Also, very few of the Hyundais had SRS data available on the factory tool, that I remember, so it probably won't be available on the SnapOn tools. That information just isn't in the data stream of the SRS controller.
    I'd actually prefer if they didn't use acronyms at all. There was once an excuse for them when scanner screen space was more limited. There's enough real estate on the screens of the new scanners to spell things out so the mechanic doesn't have to waste his time getting out his secret decoder ring to decipher what these pids are. This is just one more area where the aftermarket scanner companies could sure help us out - hint HINT HINT
    You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• Rickee
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Wheel
      I'd actually prefer if they didn't use acronyms at all. There was once an excuse for them when scanner screen space was more limited. There's enough real estate on the screens of the new scanners to spell things out so the mechanic doesn't have to waste his time getting out his secret decoder ring to decipher what these pids are. This is just one more area where the aftermarket scanner companies could sure help us out - hint HINT HINT
      I can go along with this; I was addressing the other poster's concern about the confusion of Driver's 'Side Airbag' and 'Driver's Side' Airbag. If the parts person gets your inflection wrong when you order the airbag you need, then there's a good chance you're getting a horn pad (DAB) when you needed a seat back to replace the Driver's 'Side Airbag' (DSAB). Since most SRS stuff is going to be OEM, it makes sense to use the terms the OEM uses, to make sure the order is understood.

Comment

• Wheel
        • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Rickee
        I can go along with this; I was addressing the other poster's concern about the confusion of Driver's 'Side Airbag' and 'Driver's Side' Airbag. If the parts person gets your inflection wrong when you order the airbag you need, then there's a good chance you're getting a horn pad (DAB) when you needed a seat back to replace the Driver's 'Side Airbag' (DSAB). Since most SRS stuff is going to be OEM, it makes sense to use the terms the OEM uses, to make sure the order is understood.
        yeah, it's just so easy to mis-communicate and it is only going to get worse and more critical as things get more complicated. One reason I hate acronyms and abbreviations. It's not quite as bad in the dealership environment where everyone is more likely to be on the same page.
        Lack of standardized terminology really complicates things in the indy world. I'm bad about taking the old part and plunking it down on the counter and saying "I need one of these."
        You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• crackerclicker
          • May 2008

Originally posted by Wheel
          Hahahaha! Secret Decoder Ring, lol. Amen, Wheel, I'm with ya.

Comment

• Wheel
            • Jul 2007

Originally posted by crackerclicker
            Hahahaha! Secret Decoder Ring, lol. Amen, Wheel, I'm with ya.
            No kidding - if someone paid my wages for all the time I wasted on
            looking up what some acronym or abbreviation meant, i could most likely pay cash for the 13.4 update if i chose to get it when it comes out.

Comment

• Bob's Garage
              • Nov 2007

Sandt,

Originally posted by sandt38
              I have been told that with the Cardaq M you can use Kia and Hyundai's softwares for free and essentially have yourself very near a factory level tool. Also, my understanding is that somehow or another Snap-On is involved in the Kia/Hyundai scan tool platforms... or at least my rep said this was the case. So why does it seem we are so far behind with a $10K scanner?
              Many many years ago in the early 90's the MT2500 was indeed the Hyundai scanner. It used it's own Hyundai Cartridge. At that point Kia was selling Ford the Festivas and Fiestas. Also Aspire came after that, I think now Ford has learned it's lesson.

Bob

Comment

• Crusty
                • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Bob's Garage
                Sandt,

Many many years ago in the early 90's the MT2500 was indeed the Hyundai scanner. It used it's own Hyundai Cartridge. At that point Kia was selling Ford the Festivas and Fiestas. Also Aspire came after that, I think now Ford has learned it's lesson.

Bob
                You owe me a keyboard-!!! LOL

Comment

• Bob's Garage
                  • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Crusty
                  You owe me a keyboard-!!! LOL
                  What? Did we have a bet?

Comment

• Crusty
                    • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Bob's Garage
                    What? Did we have a bet?
                    "" I think now Ford has learned it's lesson. ""

Spewed my coffee....LOL

Comment

• whp4262
                      • May 2018

Slow refresh rate

I have a Verus Edge with software Rev 17.4 and I had the same issue while scanning a 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe AWD with the 3.5L V-6. In engine data mode, PIDs or Graph the refresh rate is so slow I couldn’t even look at O2 sensor data. Everything is slow, RPM, O2s, TPS, Airflow, etc., and the CKP sensor doesn’t show up at all. Also found out that my Verus won’t work to look at live ABS data during a road test. Soon as you select data it turns on the ABS light and shuts the system down and won’t communicate again until you shut the car off and restart it. I can understand locking out functional tests but you should be able to look at data while on a road test.

Comment

• Witsend
                        Banned
                        • Nov 2012

I have a Verus Edge with software Rev 17.4 and I had the same issue while scanning a 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe AWD with the 3.5L V-6. In engine data mode, PIDs or Graph the refresh rate is so slow I couldn’t even look at O2 sensor data. Everything is slow, RPM, O2s, TPS, Airflow, etc., and the CKP sensor doesn’t show up at all. Also found out that my Verus won’t work to look at live ABS data during a road test. Soon as you select data it turns on the ABS light and shuts the system down and won’t communicate again until you shut the car off and restart it. I can understand locking out functional tests but you should be able to look at data while on a road test.
                        06-08-2013 10:58 AM
                        Maybe if Snappy actually had their hand in the software interface back in the early 2000s with the MT2500 as their scanner, the software BAUD rate of the ECM was intentionally slowed down so the MT2500s could handle it without locking up. Maybe a reflash update of the ECM if available might give you a faster refresh rate more suitable for a modern scan tool.

Comment

Working...