Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Phil Kleis
    • Oct 2008

PC based scan tool request

I request that Snap On will make available a PC based scan tool/scope that I can connect to my PC just like I can with IDS. What would it take for Snap On to bring to market the scan tool and scope products that don't lock me into hardware that will be replaced with updated units due to obsolesces? I like Snap On and will continue to use it but I see a product like the Verus that will probably use the same 8.4 scan tool product that I can get for my MTG2500. Instead of using resources marketing flashy platforms why not use those resources to give me a product that has capability above and beyond the competition. An example of what Snap On could do to improve it's product would be to give me the ability to do idle air volume learn on Nissan or to recalibrate a steering angle sensor on a BMW after doing an alignment among other capabilities. Why should I spend 8 or 9k on a platform when I could buy some factory scan tools and a Pico scope. I think the hand held platforms are nice and convenient but if I had my choice I would rather spend 10 grand or more and get a product that I can use with my PC that gives me abilities like I have with OEM tooling. Snap On is a company with great resources and markets it's products to a diverse group of techs with different abilities and needs. One market that is growing is OEM tooling because the aftermarket does not provide enough to fix the cars we see in our bays today. The days of partial tooling are coming to an end just like the days of guessing techs are coming to an end. Customers don't accept partial repairs or three trips back for the same problem. I am done ranting/requesting hope it did some good.
  • KM@PROAUTOTECH
    • Oct 2007

The SIA 3000 was a PC based scope interface, put simply the Modis scope software with hardware connections to plug into a laptop. You may still be able to find one. The success rate in the USA was not that great but did well in Europe. Snap On worked with a shop management software that linked your management and your shop key info as well as your scanner software and component tests all together to be used on a toughbook which I also use, but the rumor is they are not having the results so they may pull the plug. So, all efforts will be put into the Verus giving you the option of adding third party software. So, most of what you are asking for is or has been there, just not enough interested.

Comment

• caeden
      • Aug 2008

Ya what he said pico is way ahead of the game. pc based, free up grades ,and more functions . price is kind of close. pico stil wins. A relative compression. Need to be aaded to the vantage pro. I still have vantage pro but would like to get a pico. Unless Snap on can more funtion to it scope it over priced. !! Dont listen of us if ya like. we can go to the placed that do. Customer for many years. seem to be on the decline. Just go pc based most everyone is on there way. Lab top, service info, pico scop and gm Si with Auto enginuity Pc base .
      Last edited by caeden; 10-08-2008, 08:55 PM.

Comment

• jrorl63
        Snap-on DSD
        • Aug 2007

Just Curious. If you own an IDS, Tech2, Mastertech, etc...what do use your MTG2500 for? Are you looking for Snap-on to produce a solution for all vehicles? The MT Series scan tool wasn't obsolete for nearly 20 years. I believe the Idle Air volume learning procedure is there or you can do it manually as necessary depending on the MY. Have you considered purchasing the GT1?

Comment

• jarvissamuel
          Jarvissamuel
          • Oct 2006

A couple of comments if I may.

The MT series scanners are/were good tools but even with the VCI carts there is not enough storage for the current data in the last couple of updates even the last update required the original solus to add more storage space. So the 8.4 definitely will not be the same on a MT series tool as one of the current platforms.

The SIA of course it did not do well when anyone asked about it the standard reply "You do not want that" I would have liked to pick one up but I would have also like to have access to the software the european guys have on there version. Each looked like it had different abilities. The SIA would run the wavepoint software (for misfire detection). Both had been removed from the SO site and are back now so who knows? Maybe the Verus will run the wavepoint software.

One other thought price is definitely a consideration as it cost SO money to aquire the data for coverage. Maybe it would be possible for a more ehanced equivalent OE (not almost) by offering a more comprehensive ehanced side above the current coverage of course as an option at an additional charge per access. For example start with GM, Ford and Chrysler. If someone needs the GM more they could aquire the GM part. If that makes sense.

Sam

Comment

• AutoTech
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Phil Kleis
            I request that Snap On will make available a PC based scan tool/scope that I can connect to my PC just like I can with IDS. What would it take for Snap On to bring to market the scan tool and scope products that don't lock me into hardware that will be replaced with updated units due to obsolesces? I like Snap On and will continue to use it but I see a product like the Verus that will probably use the same 8.4 scan tool product that I can get for my MTG2500. Instead of using resources marketing flashy platforms why not use those resources to give me a product that has capability above and beyond the competition. An example of what Snap On could do to improve it's product would be to give me the ability to do idle air volume learn on Nissan or to recalibrate a steering angle sensor on a BMW after doing an alignment among other capabilities. Why should I spend 8 or 9k on a platform when I could buy some factory scan tools and a Pico scope. I think the hand held platforms are nice and convenient but if I had my choice I would rather spend 10 grand or more and get a product that I can use with my PC that gives me abilities like I have with OEM tooling. Snap On is a company with great resources and markets it's products to a diverse group of techs with different abilities and needs. One market that is growing is OEM tooling because the aftermarket does not provide enough to fix the cars we see in our bays today. The days of partial tooling are coming to an end just like the days of guessing techs are coming to an end. Customers don't accept partial repairs or three trips back for the same problem. I am done ranting/requesting hope it did some good.
            Phil I feel the exact same way you do. Why spend 9k on the verus when you can put that money towards OE tools and be much better off!

Comment

• AutoTech
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by caeden
              Ya what he said pico is way ahead of the game. pc based, free up grades ,and more functions . price is kind of close. pico stil wins. A relative compression. Need to be aaded to the vantage pro. I still have vantage pro but would like to get a pico. Unless Snap on can more funtion to it scope it over priced. !! Dont listen of us if ya like. we can go to the placed that do. Customer for many years. seem to be on the decline. Just go pc based most everyone is on there way. Lab top, service info, pico scop and gm Si with Auto enginuity Pc base .
              Yeah Snap On keeps falling behind with every update! The Asian side is terrible, Domestic side isn't much better, Scope is pretty good, probably the best in a handheld scope but Pico blows it out of the water in performance. I have to say Snap On is proud of there equipment, There update price is rediculous for the amount of new coverage you get! JMO

Comment

• Phil Kleis
                • Oct 2008

response

I have a Tech 2(GM/Saab), MTS 3100(Toyota/Honda) and IDS(Ford/Jaguar/Land Rover/Mazda) because I need in those tools functions and data that was and or still is not available with Snap On. I have used Autologic and J2534BMW/MINI for coding and programming and other Euro needs along with Vedis and Vag-Com. Snap On does not give the same capability as those listed and the many other OE and aftermarket tooling available to us. What Snap On tries to do is give us enough to get by. If I took a by brand car count of what the average Snap On user has in his bay's I think GM, Ford, Honda, Toyota and Chrysler would be at or near the top. If the cost for Snap On to bring OE level ability to what the top 5 or 6 or what ever the bean counters say are acceptable and give us a product so that we don't have to buy a Tech 2, IDS, HDS, TIS, DRB3, Star Mobile or Consult and maybe save a few bucks. I think it is worth Snap On looking at this to see if possible, cost effective and competitive enough to make sense. If they want to package it in Verus or PC based or water ever marketable format Snap On chooses I don't care as long as the capability is there. As for the brands that don't make the list just keep doing the same thing as is being done now. If I want to work on Volvo or Benz I will buy VIDA or Star Basic and have capability on cars that I may specialize in.

caeden: I did this relative compression test on a Vantage Pro today to show you that it can be done. I used my fluke high amp probe with a 1amp per 1mv rating a/c coupled using ignition primary as a sync. It was not done using presets. It's a picture of the screen so sorry if it's not a better image.

Comment

Working...