X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • komobu
    • Feb 2009

Verus Parade Ignition Trigger

Hi,

I am using 12.4 software. I am hooked up to the coil on a 6 cylinder chevy, and want to view parade secondary ignition. It shows me all six cylinders on the screen, but there is no way for me to adjust the trigger. I want to trigger with an inductive pick up off of #1 spark plug. It wont let me view the second channel.

This is so basic that it seems I have to be doing something wrong. I am using a standard ignition with the snap on rpm inductive pick up that worked great on my vantage pro and the EETM306A02 on the coil wire from the coil to
    the distributor. How to I set up a trigger?
  • landroverman1958
    • Feb 2010

Hiya,have you tried going into ign set up,on scope pick your ignition system,no of cylinders and set your trigger to no 1? HTH

Comment

• komobu
      • Feb 2009

The issue I am having is I can find no way to set up a trigger off of anything other than channel 1 if I am in the Parade. I can do it in single cylinder mode but not in parade.

Comment

• Rich Shepherd
        Snap-on D&I
        • Nov 2006

The Verus has the same settings in Ignition setup as the Vantage Pro.

Make sure you select “Plug” for “Number 1 Trigger” along with the settings for the ignition type, Number of cylinders, and firing order.

The Gray RPM/Cyl1 lead is used to sync the Ignition Scope to Cylinder #1. It connects to the 9 pin connector on the unit and to the #1 plug wire on the vehicle

This allows the Ignition Scope to display the cylinders in the correct position on the screen.

There aren’t any other settings to adjust when using with this lead.
        The signal from it is not displayed on a channel.
        It is basically an external trigger for the scope and is also used for RPM calculations.

To determine if the signal from the RPM lead is ok, disconnect your secondary lead from channel1 and only connect the RPM lead.
        If RPM is displayed consistently and matches the engine RPM, you have a good usable signal coming in from the RPM lead.
        If it is not, try moving it to a different position on the plug wire.
        The reason you have to remove the secondary lead for this check is the signal from it is also used to calculate RPM.

The only other setting specific to Ignition Scope that may need to be adjusted is the secondary detection threshold.

It works the same as on the Vantage Pro or Modis.

It sets the sensitivity of the ignition scope to detect ignition firings input to the scope on Ch1 (Ch1 and 2 for Waste spark ignition) from the ignition lead.
        It does notwork like the signal level based trigger in lab scope where the exact level that will trigger the scope is set.
        It takes into account other characteristics of the secondary waveform than just the level.
        The setting is displayed along the left side of the grid as a right facing triangle. It can be moved up and down as needed. You can drag it or move it using the control on the Trigger Setup window. Higher = less sensitive, lower = more sensitive. My rule of thumb is to set itat the average spark voltage to start (Typically 1-1.5kV).
        If it is set too low, the scope may detect events on the waveform that are not firings such as coil current limiting in the dwell section, the start of dwell, or oscillations.
        If it is set too high, it will miss cylinders.
        There are some examples in one of the appendix sections at the end of the Modis manual found here:

The best thing to do once you get a vehicle connected and working correctly is to move the threshold down until the pattern starts to break up and observe what happens. Move it up until it stabilizes, then continue moving it up until cylinders drop out and observe what happens. Once you observe this, you will have a much better idea how it works and needs to be set.
        You can typically find a setting that works ok at all engine speeds. In some cases you may have to decrease it a bit when running at speeds above idle.

Comment

• komobu
          • Feb 2009

Thanks Rich, Ill give it a try!

Comment

• Tloftis
            • Aug 2017

so the snap on EETM306A02 goes on the coil wire and not on a plug wire? Can I hook it up on a 3 coil pac set up? 6 plug wires come out of it. 97 mazda b4000 pickup

Comment

• Rich Shepherd
              Snap-on D&I
              • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Tloftis
              so the snap on EETM306A02 goes on the coil wire and not on a plug wire? Can I hook it up on a 3 coil pac set up? 6 plug wires come out of it. 97 mazda b4000 pickup
              That pickup can be connected to any secondary wire (Plug or coil) that you want to view the waveform from. In the case of the B4000, you can view the waveform from each wire individually with it using the lab scope when you select Ignition Probe. To view all 6 cylinders at the same time using the ignition scope, you would need the SIA 2000 ignition adapter or something equivalent.

Comment

Working...