X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

Powerful pocket magnets and scantools

It's always nice to have a powerful rare earth telescoping magnet in your pocket at all times that can pick up a heavy impact socket without a problem, right? It might not be a good thing to have right next to an expensive scan tool ,SD card ,or laptop PC, you are carrying right next to the pocket it's in .
  • Steve6911
    • Feb 2007

I got nothing!!!

Comment

• Crusty
      • Dec 2007

Small pocket screwdriver....(hand outs from suppliers with NO magnet in the top), and a couple of pens.
      Pop connector clips & write down notes, mileage, codes, etc
      Learned many years ago to slow down, work smarter, not harder....

Comment

• crackerclicker
        • May 2008

Oh geez, I doubt you have a magnet strong enough to kill an SD card. I also find it unlikely your "rare earth" magnet is strong enough to damage a PC hard drive. The magnet needed to damage a hard drive would need to be a large, powered electromagnet with an oscillating field.

Comment

• Witsend
          Banned
          • Nov 2012

Oh geez, I doubt you have a magnet strong enough to kill an SD card. I also find it unlikely your "rare earth" magnet is strong enough to damage a PC hard drive. The magnet needed to damage a hard drive would need to be a large, powered electromagnet with an oscillating field.
          Yesterday 05:55 PM
          It likely wouldn't kill a SD card or hard drive on something that is already powered off, but if it is powered up and in use with electrical activity already present running through the microcircuitry of the thing , I would not want to even risk my touch screen going awry in any areas or possible corruption or loss of data of software on a SD card. Sometimes software or Data on SD cards in our scanners already have enough issues and software holes new out of the box without the help of a powerful pocket magnet to make things worse.You can't get around putting your phones and tablets through an airport scanners, but you can be wise ,and power them off completely before sending one through, likewise why take chances cradling a powered up Verus Edge to your bust if you got a magnet in your pocket next to it that is capable of picking up a one pound socket. Even if it might cause the touchscreen to require re calibration, I don't want any magnets close by. Sounds like a Debunking job for The Myth Busters.

Comment

• Crusty
            • Dec 2007

Originally posted by crackerclicker
            You might be surprised how powerful some small magnets really are. Had one given to me from a supplier that was the size of a quarter. It was more powerful than normal magnets 10 times the size.
            Wanna try it on your hard drive-??
            I wouldn't. All it has to do is scramble a single 0 or 1 in the wrong sector and you're done.

Comment

• GypsyR
              • Jul 2017

If you have a newish upscale cell phone then you have more computing power and memory in your hand than NASA had to send some guys to the moon with. Now you may have seen various mounts for these little computers for cars to stick the thing to your dash or something. Some of these involve clamps, some are simply MAGNETS. You literally stick your phone to them as there is enough steel in a phone to hold. And these magnets are pretty strong. Get the idea? The days of floppy disks are long gone, modern stuff is a LOT ore resistant to stray magnetic fields. I don't think I'd be using my pocket magnet as a stylus but other than that I have not one worry about it being in proximity to our scanners.

Comment

• crackerclicker
                • May 2008

Originally posted by Crusty
                Wanna try it on your hard drive-??
                Sure, without even a second thought.

Comment

• Witsend
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2012

Hey , just because a new Samsung is water resistant in up to 5 feet of water doesn't mean it's gonna survive just 12 inches of water in your washing machine.Or if you buy a Chinese Magnetic phone holder and been using it with no problems with the phone operating for a year, doesn't mean when try to transfer your 64 GB of photos, Files , and videos from the phone to your PC , some of the files will be corrupted and won't be transferable.
                  I'm pretty sure the small magnetic tip of some of the magnetic pickup tool next to an electronic device for the small given area it affects is probably stronger than what that small given area woud experience from a EMP weapon detonated in the atmosphere, that would take out the power grid and many electronic devices.

Comment

• greasybob
                    • May 2008

Give it a try, if it's worth knowing it's worth experimenting with. I've never had any luck messing up devices with magnets, but maybe I wasn't trying hard enough. Does the Aurora Borealis mess up your WiFi ?

Comment

• greasybob
                      • May 2008

Well I can tell you this, the magnets don't seem to have any effect on a flash drive. Sliding the magnets around underneath the laptop didn't seem to bother it much either.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...