Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums Diagnostic Home . Diagnostic Product Index . Customer Care        
Diagnostic SoftwareDiagnostic PlatformsAsk-a-Tech, Automotive Repair InformationTech Central
Go Back   Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums > Snap-on Diagnostic Products > Diagnostic Platforms > J2534 (Flash Reprogramming) User Forum
Home Today's Posts Register Members List FAQ
Thank you for visiting Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums.
You are currently NOT logged in to a registered account. Some functions of Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums will not be available to you if your are not logged in as a registered member. For a limited time only, registrationto Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums to Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums is !! FREE !! Select the    **REGISTER NOW**    link to register for your FREE Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums account!!

Old 07-06-2015, 01:56 PM

snapon20r Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Default Options on battery chargers for programming/flash

Hey guys, just wondering if there are any other options on battery chargers besides the $ 775.00 battery charger Snapon sells? Would a normal charger on low setting work?? Any other options?? What do you guys do ( that don't have the snapon battery charger) for keeping the battery up when flash/program?
Old 07-06-2015, 03:56 PM

diesel71 Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

I have had a module blank off and one quit taking files from low voltage, both had to be replaced and both were more than the price of snapons charger that is designed to hold the right voltage/amperage during a flash. its just not worth taking the chance if you ask me. just my 2 cents.
Old 07-07-2015, 04:52 AM
Banned

Witsend Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Quote:
Hey guys, just wondering if there are any other options on battery chargers besides the $ 775.00 battery charger Snapon sells? Would a normal charger on low setting work?? Any other options?? What do you guys do ( that don't have the snapon battery charger) for keeping the battery up when flash/program?
I would take a Large known good battery with a full charge, hook a set of good jumper cables off it to the vehicle's battery and have a generic trickle charger hook to the big donor battery that you have , so any voltage fluctuations of the generic battery charger be dampened and a absorbed by the larger donor battery. If you need a good new battery Charger then spend the dough, but until then improvise.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:21 AM

snapon20r Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Thanks a lot guys for your replies.
Old 07-07-2015, 02:27 PM

ToltecasChavez Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

As long as the voltage stays at 14V u should be good. I have the snap-on one and it died after a year. Just not good. Either way, I have used a small one that keeps the battery at 14V and never had a problem. My 2 Cents.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:28 PM

hhong12dlm Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

In the past before the battery maintainers came out I usually
made sure I had a "good" charged battery and put a regular charger
set at low settings when programming to keep the system voltage
in the recommended area.
Never had a problem, I use a midtronics battery maintainer now, I did
not have access to one in the past.
Also check your ac ripple when a battery is on the charger
its not that bad at lo settings, but increases at higher rates
this may vary.....the maintainers have a very clean output.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:51 PM

maven Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

You can find the tool GM uses, the Midtronics PSC550 for around $150 if your lucky(Ebay, etc.) they pop up at some of the online wholesalers for $300 new now and again. very worthwhile if you do any level of programming. It could pay for it self in saving one "oops"

I would screw around with buffer batteries and trickle chargers and such Rube Goldberg setups, as creative as Wit is its your money/business. If you wanna do programming do it right.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:44 AM

ttrain0331 Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Default battery charger

Hey,

I'm with Maven, if you are serious about programming, you have no doubt invested in the pass thru devices and PCs and other needed software programs. a battery maintainer/"clean" charger is needed. It well worth the time and money of not having to worry if all the makeshift connection are ok.
an under/over voltage issue can take out a module or possibly more!
I use the Midtronics PPS 550, I bought new in 08 and has never let me down. I paid about $700.00 thru CARQUEST (at that time). Now you can buy for less. There is a company that sells the same set up for about $175-200.00 but under a different name. I would stick a brand that has been trusted in the programming arena. Reprogram/flashing is a very profitable part of our business, which brings about $35K of additional sales.
Good Luck.
T Elm
Old 09-29-2015, 08:33 AM

TannBovet Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

There are many options available for the flash charger. You can find them easily. Also you can give direct supply to it from the Laptop. Also you can build your own charger. Please post the specifications of your charger if you can.

Last edited by TannBovet; 10-05-2015 at 03:13 PM..
Old 09-29-2015, 03:30 PM
Banned

Witsend Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Smile Battery supply from laptop?

Quote:
There are many options available for the flash charger. You can find them easily. Also you can give direct supply to it from the Laptop. Also you can build your own charger. Please post the specifications of your charger if you can.
Hi, Welcome to the Forum TannBovet, Did you mean with some chargers you can monitor battery voltage and tweak the charger's voltage or output from a program or App running right off the laptop? I can't see a laptop battery being able to contribute much to anything though.