Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums Diagnostic Home . Diagnostic Product Index . Customer Care        
Diagnostic SoftwareDiagnostic PlatformsAsk-a-Tech, Automotive Repair InformationTech Central
Go Back   Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums > Snap-on Diagnostic Products > Diagnostic Platforms > Verus User Forum
Home Today's Posts Register Members List FAQ
Thank you for visiting Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums.
You are currently NOT logged in to a registered account. Some functions of Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums will not be available to you if your are not logged in as a registered member. For a limited time only, registrationto Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums to Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums is !! FREE !! Select the    **REGISTER NOW**    link to register for your FREE Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums account!!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-15-2019, 12:03 PM
Orchid70 Orchid70 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Lövestad, Sweden
Posts: 38
Orchid70 Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Default Chervolet Camaro IV Z28 from 1995 (OBD1,5 I think)

Hi
Is it possible to read this cars fault codes with Europian Wireless Verus 16,4?
When I plug in the scan module - the Wihacle Power LED is steady green and the Bluetooth LED is blinking.
But theres is no communication with the car.
Am I missing some connector/adapter or dont know how t6o read?
I only can find Chervolet Camaro (1996) through OBD Direct -> OBD connector location -> But no communication.

I have some keys - is that what I need to connect? Could someone give me pics of the pieces I need to put together to be able to use Keys? I bouth this used and not quite sure all pieces are there.
I would very much appreciate it =)
Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-15-2019, 12:32 PM
sbreland73's Avatar
sbreland73 sbreland73 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Rockwall, TX
Posts: 1,055
sbreland73 You made it!  You've done a great job ofearning reputation from your peers.  You now have secret access to a new hidden forum!

Default

Not sure about GM exported vehicles, but I'm pretty sure the ones in the USA in the 1993, 1994, 1995 era may have had two Diagnostic connectors, one being the modern OBDII port to conform to the new EPA standards, the other being the older GM Assembly Line Data Link port. If this is your case, then the OBDII port may have power, but the data lines may be omitted, or not wired correctly to current OBDII specs. You may have to look around and see if there is another DLC. These year models are troublesome to diagnose due to the manufactures being in transition from their standard to the EPA standard.
__________________
S. Breland
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-16-2019, 05:51 AM
Orchid70 Orchid70 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Lövestad, Sweden
Posts: 38
Orchid70 Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbreland73 View Post
Not sure about GM exported vehicles, but I'm pretty sure the ones in the USA in the 1993, 1994, 1995 era may have had two Diagnostic connectors, one being the modern OBDII port to conform to the new EPA standards, the other being the older GM Assembly Line Data Link port. If this is your case, then the OBDII port may have power, but the data lines may be omitted, or not wired correctly to current OBDII specs. You may have to look around and see if there is another DLC. These year models are troublesome to diagnose due to the manufactures being in transition from their standard to the EPA standard.
Thank you dear!
So Ill tell the owner to seak for an other DLC or pop there my self.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-16-2019, 07:41 AM
Crusty Crusty is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Great White North
Posts: 2,451
Crusty You made it!  You've done a great job ofearning reputation from your peers.  You now have secret access to a new hidden forum!

Default

Very often the 1993, 1994, 1995, GM vehicles had the 16-pin OBD-II connector BUT used the older GM software.
If the scan tool only covers from 1996 & newer it won't communicate.
You "should" be able to use the OBD-II cable & connector and have communication IF you can select the correct model year vehicle (1995) or possibly one year older (1994) but if you have to go back to the 1994 to get communication you must be carefull .
I didn't find any vehicles of that year with TWO under dash ports.
With the GM vehicles of that vintage, with the older 12-pin under dssh ports, the only time I needed one of the personality keys was for modules other than the ECM such as ABS, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-16-2019, 08:01 AM
Orchid70 Orchid70 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Lövestad, Sweden
Posts: 38
Orchid70 Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
Very often the 1993, 1994, 1995, GM vehicles had the 16-pin OBD-II connector BUT used the older GM software.
If the scan tool only covers from 1996 & newer it won't communicate.
You "should" be able to use the OBD-II cable & connector and have communication IF you can select the correct model year vehicle (1995) or possibly one year older (1994) but if you have to go back to the 1994 to get communication you must be carefull .
I didn't find any vehicles of that year with TWO under dash ports.
With the GM vehicles of that vintage, with the older 12-pin under dssh ports, the only time I needed one of the personality keys was for modules other than the ECM such as ABS, etc.
Id like to communicate with the transmission and engine.
But Im not even sure how to use personality keys
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-16-2019, 06:14 PM
Glide Glide is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 296
Glide Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Default

Quote:
Is it possible to read this cars fault codes with Europian Wireless Verus 16,4?
Only if you have U.S./North American coverage on your Verus.

Quote:
Not sure about GM exported vehicles, but I'm pretty sure the ones in the USA in the 1993, 1994, 1995 era may have had two Diagnostic connectors, one being the modern OBDII port to conform to the new EPA standards, the other being the older GM Assembly Line Data Link port.
The early to mid 90's GM vehicles that had OBD2 port on drivers side and OBD1 port on passenger side used OBD2 port for powertrain and anything emissions related and used OBD1 port for ABS brakes,body control,and/or anything not emissions related.Not every GM vehicle had two ports,a lot of Buicks and Cadillacs did.
I didn't think Camaro went to OBD2 connector until 96 .For sure 94 is OBD1, I just had one in last week and had to use OBD1 adapter.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-17-2019, 06:10 AM
Orchid70 Orchid70 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Lövestad, Sweden
Posts: 38
Orchid70 Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Default

Missed to tell, its a Cabreolet...
5,7 V8
Engine code P
Automatic
US import
Chassi number: FP32P2S2112827
Model year 1995
In register 12:th of April 1996
For future interest =)

Car owner told: first and second gears get in - but none after that.
His plan is to get the transmission flushed next. He will get the car there by trailer.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-17-2019, 06:49 AM
tech25's Avatar
tech25 tech25 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: florida
Posts: 172
tech25 Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Default

always put year, make, model, and vin if possible, need basic info before anything can move forward.

when i put your vehicle in my solus ultra, it states to use the da-4 cable, which is the regular obd2 16 pin cable,

the solus is keyless and does pin switching internally inside the scan tool.

so....its obd 2 and says nothing about obd1 for this car. hope that helps..

there is also a possibility that i heard gm had a 1.5 obd thing, where it was the obd2 connector but the modules and such were not 100% obd2 compliant yet

at this point, i would check basics at the connector, like ground at pin 4 and 5, and power/12v at pin 16.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-17-2019, 07:00 AM
Glide Glide is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 296
Glide Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchid70 View Post
Car owner told: first and second gears get in - but none after that.
His plan is to get the transmission flushed next. He will get the car there by trailer.
The common failure with these transmissions is 3-4 clutch pack.I would advise to find a Tech familiar with automatic transmissions before wasting money on a flush.JMO.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-17-2019, 08:44 AM
sbreland73's Avatar
sbreland73 sbreland73 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Rockwall, TX
Posts: 1,055
sbreland73 You made it!  You've done a great job ofearning reputation from your peers.  You now have secret access to a new hidden forum!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glide View Post
The common failure with these transmissions is 3-4 clutch pack.I would advise to find a Tech familiar with automatic transmissions before wasting money on a flush.JMO.
I second that. Fluid exchange is only helpful when done regularly and BEFORE any transmission issues, not AFTER.
__________________
S. Breland
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:28 AM.


Reminder: Your participation in these areas of the site is solely at your own risk. The
information is only the opinion of the poster, is no substitute for your own research,
and should not be relied upon for business critical decisions or any other purpose.
Never assume that you are anonymous and cannot be identified by your posts.
We reserve the right to discontinue any users' use of any such public forum
for any reason. Please read the Terms of Service.

Snap-on is a trademark, registered in the United States and other countries, of Snap-on Incorporated. Other marks are marks of their respective holders.
©2022 Snap-on Incorporated. All rights reserved.