Recovering a ModisUltra with corrupted SDcard.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • androcity
    • Dec 2017

Recovering a ModisUltra with corrupted SDcard.

Hey all,

My friend brought me his ModisUltra scanner which would no longer boot up. I'm trying to get it back up and running for him. He works at a shop and needs his scanner so I'm trying everything I can do to help him.

Upon boot up it would show a graphic indicating to insert SD card. I tried the SD card in my computer and Windows would not recognize it.

I got a new SD card and formatted it as FAT32, labeled MODISULTRA. I put this blank SD card in the unit and booted into recovery mode (by holding the Y/N and POWER at the same time). I then selected Utilities > Prepare sdCard for Recovery. Doing that filled the SD card with the necessary SYSTEM.BIN and LICENSE.INI files, with empty folders for SCANNER\SOFTWARE. So far, so good.

Since the SD card has valid "base" files now, it was recognized by ShopStream Connect. ShopStream Connect indicated there was an update available (version 15.4) for F:\ MODISULTRA. The updated completed and the licensed scanner databases were restored to SCANNER\DATABASE. It did not restore the software to SCANNER\SOFTWARE as I had hoped.

His coworker with the same model unit let me take a copy of his SD card's SCANNER\SOFTWARE folder. I copied this folder onto the new SD card, and the unit booted up no problem.

Thinking I finally fixed it, I went to SCANNER, and when I select a vehicle it says "The database could not be read. Please contact customer support.".

I've determined the reason it cannot read the database files is because his coworker's unit was running software version 17.4, but the SnapStream Connect restored software version 15.x compatible licensed database files to the SD card.

So basically what I need to get this thing working is the contents of SCANNER\SOFTWARE from someone on version 15.x. A ZIP file of that folder (should have several files, the big one being GEP2013.ofx) would be fantastic.

I'm sure this post will help others recover their SD cards. Anyway, I appreciate anyone who could help find those files.

Thanks,
    -Andrew
    Last edited by androcity; 12-31-2017, 09:19 PM.
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

Isn't 17.4 software still warranty able?

If your friend can provide proof of owner ship of the Tablet and proof of purchase and registration of update 17.4, why can't the Tool Man just put the unit into a basic self test to check hardware functionality then reload the software. You would think latest update 17.4 should be covered by some sort of 1 year warranty protection against accidental corruption or at minimum until 18.2 is released. I think the Chinaman tools you can delete and reload all the software again during the 1 year update period and might even cover repair or replacement with a deductible $ amount.

Comment

• tech25
      • Oct 2017

Hello, well I learned a lot from your post about getting in service mode, thanks for that info, unfortunately I do not have 15.4 sw on my tool. only 12.4, (solus) and 17.4. (modis)

question.. did you call snap on customer service and tell them about your situation yet?

and, did your friend talk to the snap on tool truck guy about this situation also?

thanks this post.

Comment

• Witsend
        Banned
        • Nov 2012

If I had to venture a guess as to why someone with current update 17.4 wouldn't bother tojust have the 17.4 software reinstalled on the tool truck for free , would be that the scanner was bought second hand from someone cheap that never paid it off.
        Wouldn't doubt that Snappy has something built in to the newer software that when the tablet has internet it connects to server, and if the serial # is on Snappy's Illusive Sh@t list Karma happens.

Comment

• androcity
          • Dec 2017

Guys, I realize version 17.4 is not licensed for this device based on its serial number. I copied the files from my friend's scanner (running 17.4) just to see if it would work.

Witsend, your replies do not include any information that benefits this post. Your "venture guesses" are inaccurate and of no interest. Lets keep it on topic: how to recover a unit without needing to send the unit to SnapOn so they can just change some files on a SDcard. I'm not a mechanic, I'm looking to solve this problem from the perspective of a software engineer.

tech25, I did contact SnapOn and they insist to send the unit in to be "repaired". I asked them for the 15.4 files and they refuse. I figured as much. I'm not sure if he talked to any tool truck guy. I'm sure he did and they probably wanted to take it to send to SnapOn and charge extra money. I don't know how it works.

Thanks everyone! I'll update if I manage to find the 15.4 files. Please if anyone else could help, that would be awesome!

Thanks,
          -Andrew

Comment

• Joe Rappa
            Snap-on DSD
            • Aug 2007

Originally posted by androcity

I'm not sure if he talked to any tool truck guy. I'm sure he did and they probably wanted to take it to send to SnapOn and charge extra money. I don't know how it works.

Thanks everyone! I'll update if I manage to find the 15.4 files. Please if anyone else could help, that would be awesome!

Thanks,
            -Andrew
            Snap-on dealers have a system called ScanBay they use for selling updates to their customers. ScanBay also has the ability to recover software errors and messed up SD cards. I'd try my franchisee before I fooled around with anything else. It will probably need the card you took out of it though.
            Give them a try.

Joe
            "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
            Henry Ford

Comment

• tech25
              • Oct 2017

Helllo, any update on how recovering the modis sw is going?

Comment

• Dtnel
                • Feb 2017

MY corrupted sd card experience

I had a card go corrupted and it was in the process of updating. MY S/O dealer couldn't do it through scanbay as another user suggested as this uses a license from the dealers account. What had to happen was that Snap On sent him a micro sd card overnight and after he put the card in my scan tool and did the setup with the version number I had as if it had came from the factory then he had to mail the old card back otherwise snap on would charge him a license for the card. Snap On is really picky on the licenses don't just hand out a license to a dealer. They have protocol and follow it. They also have pretty much eliminated the days of making a copy of the files on a card and using on another scan tool which is why they connect to the internet because they can validate your scan tool vs the eligibility for the license and if needed shut it down for that version remotely. IF the guy has a dealer they should jr be able to get him taken care of fairly quickly. I pay the monthly fee and get my 2 updates plus service bug updates throughout the year.
                Last edited by Dtnel; 02-03-2018, 04:35 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

• MARLINIS
                  • Oct 2020

Originally posted by androcity
                  Hey all,

My friend brought me his ModisUltra scanner which would no longer boot up. I'm trying to get it back up and running for him. He works at a shop and needs his scanner so I'm trying everything I can do to help him.

Upon boot up it would show a graphic indicating to insert SD card. I tried the SD card in my computer and Windows would not recognize it.

I got a new SD card and formatted it as FAT32, labeled MODISULTRA. I put this blank SD card in the unit and booted into recovery mode (by holding the Y/N and POWER at the same time). I then selected Utilities > Prepare sdCard for Recovery. Doing that filled the SD card with the necessary SYSTEM.BIN and LICENSE.INI files, with empty folders for SCANNER\SOFTWARE. So far, so good.

Since the SD card has valid "base" files now, it was recognized by ShopStream Connect. ShopStream Connect indicated there was an update available (version 15.4) for F:\ MODISULTRA. The updated completed and the licensed scanner databases were restored to SCANNER\DATABASE. It did not restore the software to SCANNER\SOFTWARE as I had hoped.

His coworker with the same model unit let me take a copy of his SD card's SCANNER\SOFTWARE folder. I copied this folder onto the new SD card, and the unit booted up no problem.

Thinking I finally fixed it, I went to SCANNER, and when I select a vehicle it says "The database could not be read. Please contact customer support.".

I've determined the reason it cannot read the database files is because his coworker's unit was running software version 17.4, but the SnapStream Connect restored software version 15.x compatible licensed database files to the SD card.

So basically what I need to get this thing working is the contents of SCANNER\SOFTWARE from someone on version 15.x. A ZIP file of that folder (should have several files, the big one being GEP2013.ofx) would be fantastic.

I'm sure this post will help others recover their SD cards. Anyway, I appreciate anyone who could help find those files.

Thanks,
                  -Andrew
                  Brother, could you recover the scanner, the same thing just happened to me but with the 16.4 mx solution in a solusedge scanner the same problem now I need help, can you help me?

Comment

• Steve6911
                    • Feb 2007

Contact customer support, they maybe able to tell you where you can purchase the update for your area.

Comment

• psymaik
                      • Mar 2021

Recover Some Files from Snap-On

You can use some recover tools from Fat Format like GetDataBAck for FAT and you can recover Folders important files .

Comment

• tech25
                        • Oct 2017

Give this website a try and see if you have any luck

Comment

Working...