Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cusz721
    • Mar 2021

Looking for advice and opinions!

Hey everyone! First post here on this forum... looking for a tid bit of advice. All opinions and options are more than welcome. Ok, so no more ****..

I am the proud owner of a verus pro d10, eehd301-6, running xp, and 15.4. It's been a great unit, and haven't had any issues (knock on wood). My dilemma is simple. Trade it in for a used Zeus with current software for a mere extra 4k, -or- since nothing works with xp anymore, put a Linux distro like Ubuntu on it, go ssd with more ram, and pay for an update.

Your choice matters! Vote now...
  • tech25
    • Oct 2017

I had no idea that snap on sw will work on Linux. I do like the idea of adding more ram and a SSD, and the update. However... I would also think a newer modis, or solus with a pico scope if you want a scope would be a thought too.

The zeus never appealed to me... my two cents.

Comment

• Cusz721
      • Mar 2021

Two cents? Back in my time it was just a penny for your thoughts. Stupid inflation... Tbo, I'm not sure if the sw is linux compatible either, but I was either going to run dual boot or a windows compatibility program like wine. Looking at the hardware, the Zeus is actually 32 bit, like the verus pro, and it runs windows 7/10. So... many naughty ideas. I like the Zeus for the live data out of range function. In your opinion, why do you not like the Zeus? I'm interested to know how you think the software compares.

As far as the score functions go, I used to have a modus ultra, and I liked it, but needed the 4 channel scope.

Comment

• sbreland73
        • Jan 2009

Verus Edge & Zeus both have 64bit hardware architecture, but have a 32bit OS installed. Snap-on software only runs on Windows or SMX as far as I am aware. Even if you could install Windows 10 on the Verus Pro, you won't be able to get any newer updates for it, as support has ended.
        S. Breland

Comment

• tech25
          • Oct 2017

the zeus seems really nice on paper. But for the price it just didnt make sense to me. I'm very partial to the Pico scope. You can use the scope on a computer, and then have the scan tool hooked up to read live data or whatever. Having two screens and two systems going at the same time works for me.

Snap on does make a very nice product in my opinion, They get right to the point and are way better than factory tools sometimes. Example, a Jaguar SDD vs snap on.. snap on wins hands down. Pulling up live data, or getting codes. resetting service light. Sooo much easier on snap on.

But... snap on does not cover the cars I work on. Italian sports cars they dont do. So I have not used snap on in a while.

And as far as PIDS go. You have to trust your tool, if you cant trust it you will spend hours wasting time to find a known good value. That being said, I always make sure what a correct pid should be, and not relay on " this should be correct " Data.

Comment

Working...