Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Apropst
    • Dec 2018

MT2500 Asian cartridge differences

Hello everyone, I just picked up my first MT2500. I got it for my 1991 Toyota Supra with a 7MGE. I'm trying to fiddle around with this brick. Im using Asian cartridges MT2500-1493 Primary and MT2500-2493 troubleshooter. It doesn't read any codes and or sensors. I was reading online after the fact of buying the MT2500 that these devices won't read the ECU and there is special devices with specific software that can only read this ECU. I guess I won't take that as the answer yet. I emailed Snap on and they said I needed kit MT25004499. I have only found MT25004497 online. I was wondering if the 4497 would really work? Also what does the MT25001401 Asian Communication Software cartridge do? Is that something I may need to work with my car? Thanks for everyone's input.
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

That's an old Jap turd you just count the lamp flashes on the dash, no live data or bi-directional controls available yet off an aftermarket scan tool. Maybe Toyota had some sort of BOB with a knob that attach to the PCM and connector
    Attached Files

Comment

• Tech_A
      • Jul 2014

Originally posted by Apropst
      Hello everyone, I just picked up my first MT2500. I got it for my 1991 Toyota Supra with a 7MGE. I'm trying to fiddle around with this brick. Im using Asian cartridges MT2500-1493 Primary and MT2500-2493 troubleshooter. It doesn't read any codes and or sensors. I was reading online after the fact of buying the MT2500 that these devices won't read the ECU and there is special devices with specific software that can only read this ECU. I guess I won't take that as the answer yet. I emailed Snap on and they said I needed kit MT25004499. I have only found MT25004497 online. I was wondering if the 4497 would really work? Also what does the MT25001401 Asian Communication Software cartridge do? Is that something I may need to work with my car? Thanks for everyone's input.
      Each cartridge is different in a sense of coverage and communication. Think of them as the current method of "software update bundles". The MT2500 may excel at certain manufacturers and may lack communication with others. The key feature is the troubleshooter support which offered insight from experienced technicians. Other than that the MT2500 is limited to low baud rate ECM/PCM (typically model year 2000 and down). I owned one myself it works great with older vehicles, but needed to upgrade with the advent of CAN communication vehicles.

This document outlines the basic coverage of asian imports as of 2013

Looking at toyota it only highlights the code reading functionality, you will probably need a factory tool to for the data stream.

Im pretty sure you could find an old ford 5.0L that will fit in that supra and that pcm comms really well with the MT2500

Comment

• tech25
        • Oct 2017

just checked my solus with 18.2, and i have no options to read live data, or anything, just tells you how to pull codes manually.

on a side note, snap on really does come up short with toyota/lexus/scion. toyotas techstream pulls live data and codes on cars that snap on cant, and these are 10 year old cars...come on... no traction control module access??

Comment

• Witsend
          Banned
          • Nov 2012

just checked my solus with 18.2, and i have no options to read live data, or anything, just tells you how to pull codes manually.

on a side note, snap on really does come up short with toyota/lexus/scion. toyotas techstream pulls live data and codes on cars that snap on cant, and these are 10 year old cars...come on... no traction control module access??
          Yesterday 11:55 AM
          2008 and still no coverage is a pretty damn embarrassing slow roll. They're still Beta testing it to make sure it ain't Hit or Miss like a Port Freight 08 Hole Filler that probably could back in 2010? Maybe after the cars are so freaking old that the dealer no longer wants to deal with their own old cr@p anymore, so they finally give Snappy their Official Blessing for the licensing to add it to the scan tool software years after to a some Big Deal Hoopla about the added functionality.
          Last edited by Witsend; 12-18-2018, 05:51 PM.

Comment

• Steve6911
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Apropst

Looking at my service information for this vehicle it appears it is not the Tools fault. Here is a copy and paste for pulling codes "with" a scan tool for this vehicle

Toyota does not provide a procedure for reading diagnostic trouble codes with a scan tool.

The fault is Toyota's, at that time they did not put the ability in the vehicle to pull codes with a scan tool in this vehicle. I am "assuming" that data is the same due to the statement below, also from service information.

DIAGNOSIS SYSTEM DESCRIPTION
            The engine ECU contains a built-in, self-diagnosis system which detects troubles within the engine signal network and flashes the "CHECK ENGINE" warning light in the combination meter.
            By analyzing various signals as shown in the later tables, the Electronic Control Unit (ECU) detects system malfunctions which are related to the various operating parameter sensors or to the actuator. The ECU stores the failure until the diagnosis system is cleared by removing the EFI fuse with the ignition switch off.
            A "CHECK ENGINE" warning light in the combination meter informs the driver that a malfunction has been detected. The light goes off automatically when the malfunction has been cleared.

"CHECK ENGINE" WARNING LIGHT CHECK
            1. The "CHECK ENGINE" warning light will come on when the ignition switch is placed at ON and the engine is not running.
            2. When the engine is started, the "CHECK ENGINE" warning light should go off.
            If the light remains on, the diagnosis system has detected a malfunction or abnormality in the system.

NOTE: Toyota does not provide trouble code driven diagnostic procedures for this vehicle. For information regarding diagnostic procedures, see "Non-Trouble Code Diagnostic Procedures/Troubleshooting with Volt/Ohm Meter." See: Computers and Control Systems > Component Tests and General Diagnostics > Troubleshooting With Volt/Ohmmeter

Steve
            Last edited by Steve6911; 12-19-2018, 05:39 AM.

Comment

• Witsend
              Banned
              • Nov 2012

Most of us already know that OBD1 Asian cars from the late 80s and very early 90s is a manual code retrieval with a jumper wire and counting lamp flashes and is not the fault of Snap On.
              Steve, My question is on a newer 10 year old Toyota (2008) that Tech25 with 18.2 , said he was unable to communicate with the Traction control system , but techstream no problem?
              Is this just a random fluke or something Snappy may have had to agree to omit from it's aftermarket scanners for more than 10 years when it was in bed together with Toyroda jointly developing some factory Scantool with the scope and grab handles awhile back? 10 years after working together why should it have any holes like that?

Comment

• Steve6911
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Witsend
                Most of us already know that OBD1 Asian cars from the late 80s and very early 90s is a manual code retrieval with a jumper wire and counting lamp flashes and is not the fault of Snap On.
                Steve, My question is on a newer 10 year old Toyota (2008) that Tech25 with 18.2 , said he was unable to communicate with the Traction control system , but techstream no problem?
                Is this just a random fluke or something Snappy may have had to agree to omit from it's aftermarket scanners for more than 10 years when it was in bed together with Toyroda jointly developing some factory Scantool with the scope and grab handles awhile back? 10 years after working together why should it have any holes like that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-MDD4CDg9Y

Well....most of us "may" know this but it is apparent that Apropst did not or he would not have taken the time to post this. He may also not know that he bought an obsolete tool that is no longer supported by Snap-on.

As far as your question goes, I could not tell you. I do not speak for Snap-on nor know about their inner workings with OE's. I can only tell you about my own knowledge (or lack of it) and experiences. So on that note, I have used Techstream Lite many times. However in the past 3 years it has mostly been strictly for Immo issues and functions as S.O. scanners do not do most of these. As far as the vehicles "I" have worked on, the S.O. scanners have been more then enough and "I" have not seen what tech 25 was talking about. But again this may just be me and the vehicle I have worked on. If a vehicle is lacking certain functions why not write up a report on it stating Year, Make, Model, VIN maybe include screenshots, the more info the better. It is work but it will only make the tool better for all of us. The forums are monitored and I have sent in many reports from forum members myself.

Steve

Comment

• Witsend
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2012

why not write up a report on it stating Year, Make, Model, VIN maybe include screenshots, the more info the better. It is work but it will only make the tool better for all of us. The forums are monitored and I have sent in many reports from forum members myself.
                  I think that would be a good start, but If you paid a $1000 for an update and they don't fix the problem on a 10 year old car for you for free without you having to buy the newer updates to resolve the issue down the road some day and it hurts your pocket book to have to update in hopes it fixes broken stuff on old cars before you need to update for newer model car coverage , then that is not enough. I think it would be best to film the software fails of what you come across and get the word out to everyone on You Tube you aren't happy and why. Same goes for The Chinaman Cr@p with those Datalogs uploaded that suppose to result in engineers doing a quick fix patches, is usually a bunch of Hooey.

Comment

• Steve6911
                    • Feb 2007

I think that would be a good start, but If you paid a $1000 for an update and they don't fix the problem on a 10 year old car for you for free without you having to buy the newer updates to resolve the issue down the road some day and it hurts your pocket book to have to update in hopes it fixes broken stuff on old cars before you need to update for newer model car coverage , then that is not enough. I think it would be best to film the software fails of what you come across and get the word out to everyone on You Tube you aren't happy and why. Same goes for The Chinaman Cr@p with those Datalogs uploaded that suppose to result in engineers doing a quick fix patches, is usually a bunch of Hooey.

Well you can do what ever you want, not everyone spends half the day on social media so "the word" will not get around to everyone. But which way do you think will work quicker, posting your rants on social media and waiting for "the word" to get around or posting the issue with screenshoots, movies or any other proof of an issue to these forums and a developer to get the info and make a correction. As a beta tester I know for a fact that they do work very hard at correcting the problems they are told about. Sometimes it might take awhile and this is because of more pressing issues. Many times when members of this forum post about a problem it is incomplete and the developers cannot reproduce the problem. Some times its operator error, as the tech may misunderstand something, sometimes its the tool. As far as paying for the updates, once again I do not speak for S.O. but they do have free interm updates via SSC. As far as the Autel goes, I have sent in many datalogs to them and to their sister company Auro as I have scan tools from both. Like here some things get fixed and some don't but I try and send in as much info as possible with the data log.

Comment

• Witsend
                      Banned
                      • Nov 2012

As far as paying for the updates, once again I do not speak for S.O. but they do have free interm updates via SSC. As far as the Autel goes, I have sent in many datalogs to them and to their sister company Auro as I have scan tools from both. Like here some things get fixed and some don't but I try and send in as much info as possible with the data log.
                      You are a good guy Steve and hopefully get positive results from your efforts . Re the free In-term SSC updates, Is Snappy now actually adding car coverage and restoring some functionality to 10 year old vehicles, between .2 and .4 updates, or fluff like system patches that prevent random errors, crashes or a even a Cascade failure to cover their own butts? If I buy a Snap On ratchet in the first half of 2018 and it is missing a tooth and the ratchet mechanism isn't revised before October , do you need to buy another new ratchet to correct the issue , or will they give me the revised ratchet mechanism for my 18.2 ratchet for free when it becomes available in April ? Lol

Comment

• Tech_A
                        • Jul 2014

You are a good guy Steve and hopefully get positive results from your efforts . Re the free In-term SSC updates, Is Snappy now actually adding car coverage and restoring some functionality to 10 year old vehicles, between .2 and .4 updates, or fluff like system patches that prevent random errors, crashes or a even a Cascade failure to cover their own butts? If I buy a Snap On ratchet in the first half of 2018 and it is missing a tooth and the ratchet mechanism isn't revised before October , do you need to buy another new ratchet to correct the issue , or will they give me the revised ratchet mechanism for my 18.2 ratchet for free when it becomes available in April ? Lol
                        Hahaha i like the analogy, but it's more like buying a 60 tooth gear 3/8 ratchet and a new 80 tooth gear 3/8 ratchet comes out; with the same grip, body, head etc.., and then expect to be able to trade the 60 tooth for an 80 tooth for free. Most likely it ain't gonna happen.

From my experience if its not a detrimental issue that causes the tool to become inoperable (unusable) then most likely there is no fix. If developers spent time fixing "old" issues they will never have time to build new features. If content for one year is missing they will most likely need to push along to get the next year's content in.

Comment

• Witsend
                          Banned
                          • Nov 2012

As far as paying for the updates, once again I do not speak for S.O. but they do have free interm updates via SSC. As far as the Autel goes, I have sent in many datalogs to them and to their sister company Auro as I have scan tools from both. Like here some things get fixed and some don't but I try and send in as much info as possible with the data log.
                          Steve I was curious about what Auro model you have and how good it seems to be? Seems to be targeted to Locksmiths for cloning and key programming. The smaller cheaper 100 model has built in scanner for some codes, data and resets for various modules but no bi-directional, but the larger full deluxe 600 model is more like a MaxiCyst Pro or Elite with key cloning and programming and pretty pricey , but right now offering updates for life of tool.
                          Wonder if it be discontinued after 2 years and renamed the Oral 700 after the Chinglish Typo is discovered and corrected

Comment

• Steve6911
                            • Feb 2007

Steve I was curious about what Auro model you have and how good it seems to be? Seems to be targeted to Locksmiths for cloning and key programming. The smaller cheaper 100 model has built in scanner for some codes, data and resets for various modules but no bi-directional, but the larger full deluxe 600 model is more like a MaxiCyst Pro or Elite with key cloning and programming and pretty pricey , but right now offering updates for life of tool.
                            Wonder if it be discontinued after 2 years and renamed the Oral 700 after the Chinglish Typo is discovered and corrected

I have the IM100, no need for the IM600 as I have an Autel Maxisys Elite, so no sense in buying a redundant tool. As far as how good it is.... at this point it is fair at best. Missing a lot of vehicles. The reason for the low price and "free" lifetime updates is because of what it is missing. Being its really Autel and they spend as little as possible they let you join a closed Facebook page and that is where you post any failures. I have other tools that are MUCH better!
                            Last edited by Steve6911; 12-21-2018, 05:40 AM.

Comment

• Witsend
                              Banned
                              • Nov 2012

I have the IM100, no need for the IM600 as I have an Autel Maxisys Elite, so no sense in buying a redundant tool. As far as how good it is.... as this point it is fair at best. Missing a lot of vehicles. The reason for the low price and "free" lifetime updates is because of what it is missing. Being its really Autel and they spend as little as possible they let you join a closed Facebook page and that is where you post any failures. I have other tools that are MUCH better!
                              Thanks Steve, Since the intro of Auro , now I got to wonder if I buy the Total Care Update to get my MaxCyst Pro working again that the key programming capabilities might be going Bye Bye soon as they seem to get folk over the barrel to buy a new update , a new tool or resort to a Jbox now, quickly learning the ways of the West and charging more and end up with less.
                              Last edited by Witsend; 12-21-2018, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Working...