X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • funkbrotha
    • Oct 2008

verus vs modis

Hi gang,

I have a question that i am sure has been on everyones mind that is considering getting or upgrading to the Verus. Honestly don't know much about either except the difference in price which is about $1500 to $2000 and i am trying to figure the advantages one over the other.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Hovig
  • cdrbrnr
    • Apr 2008

To be or not to be

From what I have read it comes down to what you want from the machine.

Verus offers more wireless usability, if you want the power of a tablet pc. Hard drive space, ties in to Shop Key and invoicing software, expandability to run other programs.

Modis is capable of wireless if you desire.

I treat my modis as a workhorse. If I get a verus, I plan to keep it clean, I don't have the patients to fix a tool that needs to work. (If you want to use the verus like a pc then protect it)

Have fun.
    If you want it, then figure out how to get it.

Comment

• funkbrotha
      • Oct 2008

thanks for the input...i just watched the training video...class 1 and it really does a good job of giving the viewer a feel of the work flow and how the Verus is intended to be used.

The streamlined interface and workflow is really nice. The thing that stood out to me was the shopkey 5 integration and how under the troubleshooter you get discription, repair info and live data readings on the part/sensor you have pulled up. (I think it was slide 36)

How does shopkey compare to Alldata or Mitchel and is there a way to change so the user can use somethng other that ShopKey5?

H

Comment

• KM@PROAUTOTECH
        • Oct 2007

Originally posted by funkbrotha
        thanks for the input...i just watched the training video...class 1 and it really does a good job of giving the viewer a feel of the work flow and how the Verus is intended to be used.

The streamlined interface and workflow is really nice. The thing that stood out to me was the shopkey 5 integration and how under the troubleshooter you get discription, repair info and live data readings on the part/sensor you have pulled up. (I think it was slide 36)

How does shopkey compare to Alldata or Mitchel and is there a way to change so the user can use somethng other that ShopKey5?

H
        The Verus is a touchscreen laptop with the obvious scope and scanner software. You can add any 3rd party software you want with 80 gig to work with. I have had Shop-Key and Alldata side by side. I like the wiring diagrams in Shop Key over Alldata's.
        Shop Key is Mitchel. Snap-On has a majority share in Thompson Publishing(Mitchel).

Comment

• rszs
          • Aug 2007

ShopKey / Mitchell

Snap-on owns Mitchell they are the same product !!

Comment

• FiveStarAuto
            • Oct 2008

Mitchell has not been helpful with integrating the Verus to the management program. Perhaps I misunderstood the advantage that the scanner would have with being able to use the TechWIP?

Comment

• funkbrotha
              • Oct 2008

well the question still stands...is the verus worth the extra money for its expandability and flexability? I noticed many members mentioning the fact that the Verus has 80 gigs of hard drive space and the fact that it is a tablet is great but i am not sure what else can be installed that would help us as techs? what programs are out there?

I just spoke to my Snap-on rep and he mentioned the release has been slow on the Verus because of some bugs. He mentioned some freezing issues. I guess this would be the case for most electronics that are fresh. He did mention a modis for $7800 without the scope kit. what do you guys think...verus or modis?

so confused...

Comment

• Steve6911
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by funkbrotha
                He did mention a modis for $7800 without the scope kit. what do you guys think...verus or modis?

so confused...
                I'm confused also! The Modis without the scope module??? It does come out but I don't think the unit would work correctly without it. You better double check what he was trying to sell you! Maybe without the Euro package?
                Steve

Comment

• funkbrotha
                  • Oct 2008

he was referring to the distibutorless ignition kit all included for $7800.

the Verus seems to cost well over 10k with all the bells and whistles!! $9800 is just the staring price.

Comment

• canfix auto
                    • Oct 2008

verus

my verus arrived today about 15 minutes before closing, I'll check it out and let you know. Although just from turning it on and quickly scanning just the demo, and accessing the forum, not re-entering the info to switch from scanner to scope to component tester, then ordering some stuff thourgh pro-link that it's already worth it to me in sheer time savings.

Comment

• MasterWrench
                      • Oct 2006

Did you get all of the "bells and whistles" ie, Euro software etc. with your VERUS? Would you be willing to share what you paid?

My dealer told me with everything except the SAI 2000 which I have, he would allow me to keep all of my OBDI connectors and cop adapters and pressure transducers, and low amps probe, with Euro software, he wants my MODIS plus 5k
                      MasterWrench

Comment

• canfix auto
                        • Oct 2008

No euro, kept my stuff, obd 1 comes with verus elite( i heard the old obd 1 cables aren't compatible) 5800 with a solus for trade. (had lots of trouble with my solus, and they gave me a over inflated trade for it)

Comment

• funkbrotha
                          • Oct 2008

congrates on getting the Verus...any glitches or problems yet. Pros and cons?

Comment

• canfix auto
                            • Oct 2008

cons

only real draw backs so far, is the solitary usb port, lack of ability to enter a canadian address, weight of the unit, and lack of a onboard cd/dvd drive to load some shop cds and such. (have a usb one hooked for loading stuff but hard to access cd only info under a car while testing something). to many pros to list, they far out way the cons. deffinity not just a modis with a hard drive. fast, effecient menu's. info, scan data and scope data all on the same screen at the same time. best scanner snap-on has released since the flying red brick!

Comment

• Transman
                              SDE Member
                              • Oct 2006

My Verus, I think I'll keep it

Just got my hands on my own Verus Tuesday. Overall very happy with it. I already found a few glitches, expected more. The first one is: scoping secondary ignition, it does not allow for raster, parade or superimposed views. They told me it will be fixed by the next update.
                              This one is strange, hooked up the Verus onto a '02 Ford E-250 van, no comm with modules either global or vin specific. I also noticed the Verus was not charging while hooked up to the obd2 aldl. We hooked up out Modus and no problem, we are in everything fine. We caled Snapper and they told us it was a glitch in the software. After doing more research at the shop, we discovered one pin at the aldl was no power that should have power. Checked the fuses and replaced the smoked one, Viola! the Verus connects and communicates perfectly. The Verus, obviously now, needs power at the aldl to communicate with the system where the Modus does not. Transman
                              We can be right or we can be wrong, But we don't learn from being right!

Comment

Working...