Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tloftis
    • Aug 2017

Ignition scope on Modis

Hello, I am having trouble figuring out how to hook up my 1997 Mazda B4000 (glorified ford ranger) to my modis. I just bought an amp clamp. What wires do I hook the amp clamp up to? Do I use the rpm clamp also? My kit has a accessory that clamps to the plug wires like the rpm clamp does. It is made different. Should I be using that? or just the amp clamp?

I have watched tons of videos on youtube but none of them show a user actually hooking them up to the wires on the vehicle.
  • hhong12dlm
    • Mar 2013

you don't need the amp clamp for ign scope, you need the #1 pickup and the sec adapter that connects to channel 1.

I highly recommend reading the user guide, if you do not have the book its available online from snap on.
    Also there are some built in guides in the modis.

Comment

• Rich Shepherd
      Snap-on D&I
      • Nov 2006

Originally posted by hhong12dlm
      you don't need the amp clamp for ign scope, you need the #1 pickup and the sec adapter that connects to channel 1.

I highly recommend reading the user guide, if you do not have the book its available online from snap on.
      Also there are some built in guides in the modis.
      User manuals and training videos here:
      https://www1.snapon.com/diagnostics/US/CC/Knowledge-Base.htm?FB_Values=F1_C6_A1!F1_C31_A2!F3_C6_A1!F3_ C31_A2!F4_C6_A1&platformImage=%2Fdisplay%2F1060%2F CustCare%2Fmodis.png&searchInType=Training&platfor mName=MODIS

Comment

• Tloftis
        • Aug 2017

modis

I have a book on it and have read how to use the meter a lot.. problem is... nowhere does it tell you what and where to connect to on the car.

I wanted to do a parade but I am not sure I can with my accessories.

do you hook to the plug wire? or a wire to the coil. the vehicle I need to test has a coil pac with 6 coils built into it. 1997 mazda b4000 truck.

in the image above, I have both of those accessories
        Last edited by Tloftis; 08-24-2017, 07:00 AM.

Comment

• Witsend
          Banned
          • Nov 2012

I wanted to do a parade but I am not sure I can with my accessories.
          Maybe you could just pick out something colorful.

do you hook to the plug wire? or a wire to the coil. the vehicle I need to test has a coil pac with 6 coils built into it. 1997 mazda b4000 truck.
          08-17-2017 11:37 AM
          That type of ignition is Waste spark or DIS . My Counselor 2 has a DIS Adapter , but haven't seen it for a Modis.

Comment

• Tloftis
            • Aug 2017

Modis ignition coil adapter

how do you use this item? I honestly don't have a clue. I do not own this with my machine, but I would buy it.

Comment

• Tloftis
              • Aug 2017

Originally posted by Witsend
              Maybe you could just pick out something colorful.

LOLLOL

That type of ignition is Waste spark or DIS . My Counselor 2 has a DIS Adapter , but haven't seen it for a Modis.
              hmmm.... so how do you hook up to this system then?

Comment

• Tloftis
                • Aug 2017

I do own this stuff..... but don't know what you hook them to? plug wire? I know the rpm one goes to the number 1 plug wire.

but what about the other?

Comment

• Tloftis
                  • Aug 2017

what does the dis adapter look like?

Comment

• Witsend
                    Banned
                    • Nov 2012

what does the dis adapter look like?
                    the
                    It looks like the SIA 2000. Actually you probably need the SIA 2000 to be able to see all the cylinders firing Here is a link to a video I found in a verus thread. I'm hoping Modis will offer you capability to see everything in Raster and Parade , not just Superimposed.

I'm thinking the adapter and setting would also work similar for a Modis. Here is the link to Verus thread about waste spark.

Comment

• Tloftis
                      • Aug 2017

ok... maybe I just need to start with what I have. EETM306A02 and the rpm that came with the modis.

What do I hook the EETM306A02 to???? what wire?

on a wasted spark 97 mazda b4000 truck? 6 cylinder 4.0? Really a ford engine.

Comment

• jm43130
                        • Apr 2008

You can also just use the cop6 flag on yellow and black lead, set up Modis for single ignition and just look at 1 cylinder at a time. You just lay flag across top of ignition coil, flip it to make a bigger pattern. You can set it up to not even use #1 trigger if you want.

Comment

• jm43130
                          • Apr 2008

On your Mazda, use the single pickup that attaches to yellow / black lead as #1 cylinder trigger. Just attach it to any wire, and use other clamp that has what looks like a VGA style connector as ignition pattern probe, and move it 1 plug wire at a time and if you setup secondary pattern as needed, it will show secondary ignition patterns. However, with your setup, you can only look at 1 cylinder pattern at a time.

Comment

• Tloftis
                            • Aug 2017

Originally posted by jm43130
                            You can also just use the cop6 flag on yellow and black lead, set up Modis for single ignition and just look at 1 cylinder at a time. You just lay flag across top of ignition coil, flip it to make a bigger pattern. You can set it up to not even use #1 trigger if you want.
                            Well let me show everyone how dumb i am lol What is a cop6 flag?

my ignition coil has six plug wire holes in it. in other words it has three coils made in one unit.

but this help will get me started. then I can learn.

Comment

• Rich Shepherd
                              Snap-on D&I
                              • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Tloftis
                              Well let me show everyone how dumb i am lol What is a cop6 flag?

my ignition coil has six plug wire holes in it. in other words it has three coils made in one unit.

but this help will get me started. then I can learn.
                              The SIA 2000 Ignition adapter manual located here has pictures of the COP adapters in use so you can see them:

Direct into the manual there:

You can connect COP pickups to Ignition lead EETA309A05A to view secondary patterns.
                              You do need an adapter like the SIA 2000 adapter if you want to display all cylinders on an engine at one time in the Ignition scope when connecting to Waste Spark ignition systems like that on the B4000.
                              You can look at them one at a time using the secondary pickup for Plug/coil wires EETM306A02 connected to the EETA309A05A.

Comment

Working...