Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • phill57
    • Oct 2007

Verus Edge and 17.4 Can't talk to low speed Lan Controllers

Working with a Verus Edge running 17.4.1 software and performing a network scan on a 2010 Chevrolet Impala VIN 2G1WB5EK6A1245038. The Edge is only able to communicate with the controllers on the high speed can bus pins 6 and 14. The ECM, TCM, BCM and ABS. None of the controller on the low speed GM lan circuit will communicate. I know there isn't a problem with the vehicle as none of controllers on the high speed side have reported communication issues with the others. The lab scope connected to pin 1 at the DLC shows a perfect serial data waveform. When I try to individually scan say the airbag controller I get no communication. Same with the IPC. Tried a Verus Pro running 17.2 software and communicates with 12 controllers and reads codes and data on them no problem. I swapped the S4 module cable with no change. Tried to ID the car as an 09, 11 and 12. No difference. Scanned an 09 Tahoe with the Edge and no problem. As far as I know the Tahoe has a similar network configuration and uses the same circuits. Seems like a glitch in the 17.4 software or is it my scanner? S4 bluetooth adapter? Here is a link to a video: https://youtu.be/k_bU7IfzW8A
  • Steve6911
    • Feb 2007

Phil, I know you said you swapped out the cable but take a good look at Pin 1 in the cable you are using. I have had this bend down a few times and cause the same issue.

Steve

Comment

• phill57
      • Oct 2007

Pin 1

Thanks Steve

I did check the pins on both the DLC connector and S4 cable very carefully and I did swap the cable between the working and non working S4 modules so either its a problem with my S4 module or its a software glitch. As I also mentioned I used the scanner on an 09 Tahoe/Yukon which also utilizes the Low Speed LAN circuit to the same pin number 1 at the DLC and it scanned with no problem. I'm going to call tech support later today to see if this has been reported as yet or if it's just me.

Comment

• Steve6911
        • Feb 2007

Tech support is always your best bet, GREAT group of guys there now!

Comment

• bestdamgarage
          • Apr 2016

Had something simalar recently verus pro 17.4 Does not see rear hvac only front showed no codes .Hooked up autel had codes and bi drectional controls for both actuators in rear hvac module.
          vehicle was chevy trailblazer extended.
          Last edited by bestdamgarage; 01-17-2018, 10:19 AM. Reason: add vehicle

Comment

• phill57
            • Oct 2007

Tech Support

Spoke with tech support this morning and it was suggested that if proper shut down/change vehicle procedures are not followed while using the scanner between vehicles that one or more files in the S4 module could become corrupted. I have to admit that I may not have followed proper protocol every time. So we ran a check disk using option 6 on on the Snap On Customer Care site then reinstalled the firmware in the S4 module with it connected via the USB cable. Still don't know if that has repaired the issue. I will post an update once I try it tomorrow.

Comment

• phill57
              • Oct 2007

On Going Issue

Well tried my Verus Edge on the same car tonight after performing the Check Disk and reloading the firmware on the S4 module yesterday and still no go. Only will talk to the modules on the HS Can bus and not the Low Speed Serial Data circuit in this car. I really don't believe that it is the scanner or S4 module since I have scanned other GM cars and trucks that use the same network configuration and therefore the same wire in the DLC and theoretically the same hardware in the S4 module. Does anybody have access to a 2010 Impala and a Verus Edge running 17.4 software to let me know if they can scan the other 8 modules in this vehicle. Followup video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOyAKQJSCZM

Comment

• Witsend
                Banned
                • Nov 2012

Did you ever try clearing the vehicle from history, exiting all the open programs and just rebooting the tablet and starting from scratch?

Comment

• phill57
                  • Oct 2007

Reply to Witsend

Originally posted by Witsend
                  Did you ever try clearing the vehicle from history, exiting all the open programs and just rebooting the tablet and starting from scratch?
                  Thanks for the suggestion, I tried completely reloading the vehicle, tried to id it as an 09, 11, 12 and 13 as well and still no change. Tried to access the modules individually and get the message "no communication, is the ignition on?" I also tried to pair the S3 module from the functioning Verus Pro but the Edge would not recognize it when the USB cable is connected. They appear to be different, EESM302A Scan Module 4 versus EESM300 Scan Module 3.

Just got off the phone with tech support and was told that the S3 module should pair. It was recommended to connect the micro USB cable to the Edge and S3 and then reboot the Edge. I will try again tonight when I can get the vehicle back. I may see if my dealer has another S4 module as well. Still wondering why it would work on other GM cars using the same networks though??

Comment

• Steve6911
                    • Feb 2007

Phil
                    Do you have a different make scanner or maybe you can borrow one to see if its the vehicle, S.O. or scanner fault?

Comment

• phill57
                      • Oct 2007

Update

Well today I acquired a Verus Pro running 17.4 software and it was able to scan all the controllers in this Impala with no issues. I then paired and updated a brand new S4 module to my Edge and tried that. Still will not talk to any controller on the low speed LAN one wire network. Yet this afternoon I was working on a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado and the Edge scanned all 16 controllers in that truck. I am pretty sure that the network in that truck is configured similarly. I also tried to delete and reload the entire vehicle, tried to ID the Impala as a 2011 and 12 as well as a different GM models. Even if I reload the vehicle and then go into the individual controllers without the network scan I get "no communication" with the Air Bag, HVAC, Instrument Cluster, Onstar etc. This theoretically would indicate that there is a corrupt file on my Edge. I am still not convinced that the 17.4 software on the Edge and the Pro are the same. The interface is slightly different, especially during the network scan process. The Pro shows which module the scanner is attempting to communicate with whereas the Edge does not. Also the Edge scans the OBD2 side of the PCM controller and pulls the maintenance monitor status as part pf the process.
                      New video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJQdWdNp1bs

Comment

• Witsend
                        Banned
                        • Nov 2012

Back in 2010 many Chevy Impalas were cars of choice for many government Entities especially for black Ops and area 51 use . Windows OS of 7 and up may not scan these car systems if these systems were only given special clearance for government scan tools to access, since the shared mother board schematics for the Atlas Rocket of the early 60's and the discontinued Solus Pro might be stored inside the low speed soda can behind the passenger kick panel.

Comment

• phill57
                          • Oct 2007

Another new Verus Edge will not scan the low speed Lan

So I was able to get a brand new Verus Edge running 17.4 software from my dealer. I was not able to update it with the service patch to 17.4.1 though. When I downloaded the 17.4.1 update from Snap-On Customer Care site, saved it and when I tried to run it I got an error saying widows does not know what program is associated with it.

I scanned the same 2010 Impala and got the same results. Scanner only talks to the HS Can connected controllers and not to any controller on the Low Speed Serial Data Lan wire. Strange thing is I have scanned several other GM vehicles that utilize the same network setup with no problem. Maybe Witsend is right, it's an area 51 kinda thing.

So it appears there is a glitch in the software on the Edge that does not affect the Verus Pro. The network scan on the pro is different as it does not pull codes from the OBD2 side nor report the status of the maintenance reminders as the Edge does. This may affect the Zeus as well since I believe they are running the same software but I'm not sure. I will call into tech support on Monday and give them an update.

Latest video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnHvwY9uU6c

Comment

• phill57
                            • Oct 2007

2 and 1/2 Years later and still not fixed.

Originally posted by phill57
                            Working with a Verus Edge running 17.4.1 software and performing a network scan on a 2010 Chevrolet Impala VIN 2G1WB5EK6A1245038. The Edge is only able to communicate with the controllers on the high speed can bus pins 6 and 14. The ECM, TCM, BCM and ABS. None of the controller on the low speed GM lan circuit will communicate. I know there isn't a problem with the vehicle as none of controllers on the high speed side have reported communication issues with the others. The lab scope connected to pin 1 at the DLC shows a perfect serial data waveform. When I try to individually scan say the airbag controller I get no communication. Same with the IPC. Tried a Verus Pro running 17.2 software and communicates with 12 controllers and reads codes and data on them no problem. I swapped the S4 module cable with no change. Tried to ID the car as an 09, 11 and 12. No difference. Scanned an 09 Tahoe with the Edge and no problem. As far as I know the Tahoe has a similar network configuration and uses the same circuits. Seems like a glitch in the 17.4 software or is it my scanner? S4 bluetooth adapter? Here is a link to a video: https://youtu.be/k_bU7IfzW8A
                            Had this vehicle in again today and my Verus edge running 19.4 software will still not communicate with any controller on the Serial Data network. That's 4 updates since 17.4 and it still doesn't work. Called tech support and was told it has been reported several times but it's still not fixed. Could not tell me if it would work in 20.2. I spent several hours chasing this over two years ago. Was told it would be escalated and I would get a response but never heard anything. Come on Snap-On this is a pretty common car. Hasn't worked since 17.2... https://youtu.be/k_bU7IfzW8A

Comment

• phill57
                              • Oct 2007

Three years and 6 updates and still not fixed.

Well its been 3 years and 7 updates to the scanner software and this issue is still not resolved. I cannot talk with the Air bag module on this 2010 Impala nor any other module on the Serial Data circuit. It is not the scanner as an Autel scanner and the Tech2 scanner work just fine and scan 12 controllers. I have updated my Verus edge to 21.2 and it still cannot communicate with the Serial connected controllers. I was told back in August of 2020 that SnapOn was aware of the issue but it is still not resolved. Come on SnapOn this is a pretty common car...

Comment

Working...