Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ephratah service center
    • Oct 2007

2010 Colorado Odometer

I have a customer with a 2010 Colorado vin # 1GCJTDDE0A8114169 put a used instrument cluster in and the used cluster odometer has more miles than the original cluster odometer had. I researched and found that the odometer will stall until the mileage matches up to the original mileage which is stored in 2 places, it is in the BCM as well as the cluster. The research I have done looks like it would self update if mileage in donor was less than original but will not roll backwards I understand why this is done this way just looking to avoid sending BCM and cluster out to a third party.
    does any one know if there is a fix other than sending the BCM and cluster out for it to be updated with correct mileage?
    If a BCM reflash is done would it correct the odometer?
  • Glide
    • Jan 2015

[QUOTE=ephratah service center;67741
    If a BCM reflash is done would it correct the odometer?[/QUOTE]

No you can't change mileage once it is in any GM module.Maybe a speedo repair place could,I don't know that for sure.

Comment

• jm43130
      • Apr 2008

ODOMETER

If you access TSB# 07-08-49-020p, It shows 2010 Colorado as being stored in IBCM, integrated BCM an is programmed with a Tech2. It does lead you to believe it is a stand alone event with a Tech2. Might be worth a try, maybe you can reset odometer in BCM.

Comment

• Glide
        • Jan 2015

Originally posted by jm43130
        If you access TSB# 07-08-49-020p, It shows 2010 Colorado as being stored in IBCM, integrated BCM an is programmed with a Tech2. It does lead you to believe it is a stand alone event with a Tech2. Might be worth a try, maybe you can reset odometer in BCM.
        Only with a new BCM.As I said once mileage is in a GM module it can't be changed.That's why when replacing a module and entering the mileage,Tech2 asks "are you sure?",you have one shot.
        Having said that,when the cluster is replaced,the mileage should change in the cluster to whatever is in the BCM.
        My question to Ephratah is did you replace the cluster to see if the original mileage shows up?

Comment

• Oct 2007

I replaced cluster with donor cluster and mileage that is displayed is not correct it added 64k to donor cluster The original cluster that was in the truck showed 142k on odometer and after donor cluster was installed odometer displays 206k. If a new BCM is installed and flashed with a J2534 will it allow the correct odometer reading to be input?

Comment

• Glide
            • Jan 2015

Originally posted by ephratah service center
            I replaced cluster with donor cluster and mileage that is displayed is not correct it added 64k to donor cluster The original cluster that was in the truck showed 142k on odometer and after donor cluster was installed odometer displays 206k. If a new BCM is installed and flashed with a J2534 will it allow the correct odometer reading to be input?
            No.If the mileage was stored in the BCM it would have changed to the correct mileage when you installed the donor cluster.It would appear that the TSB that was referenced is wrong.Any GM truck that I have replaced the cluster on has had the mileage in the cluster,not the BCM.Some cars store the mileage in the BCM and in that case the mileage in the clusterwill change to the original when the cluster is replaced.

Comment

• Glide
              • Jan 2015

According to my service info these are what has to be programed when replacing a BCM on this vehicle.No mention of mileage.

The procedures below are designed to set-up the body control module (BCM) correctly during BCM related service. Before you start, read these procedures carefully and completely.

The following procedures must be followed:

1. Programming the BCM
              2. Learning the restraints ID
              3. Programming Theft Deterrent System Components
              4. Program Key Fobs
              5. Program Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPM) System
              Edit: I stand corrected.

Instrument Cluster Programming and Setup

The odometer will read zero miles after the instrument panel cluster (IPC) is replaced. The body control module (BCM) stores the mileage information for the odometer. The vehicle will have to be driven for the BCM to send out a mileage update to the IPC. The IPC should then display the current mileage.
              Did you drive it after installing the cluster?

Comment

• Oct 2007

yes it has been drive for 3 weeks and odometer reads the same as when it was installed has not changed from the 206k.

Comment

• Glide
                  • Jan 2015

It would seem that the odometer will update from 0,but will not go from a higher mileage to a lower one.I wonder if the mileage stored in the BCM as viewed with a scanner is still at the original miles ?

Comment

• Oct 2007

he is bringing it in next week for spark plugs I will check the mileage with scanner then

Comment

• Oct 2007

customer dropped vehicle off and I hooked up Triton D10 and the Autel Elite and neither one show a mileage pid any place
                      I test drove and checked the pid for mileage that shows distance that it has been driven after DTC were cleared and it increases so maybe this is a Tech 2 pid only.
                      I did not reflash as I did not think it would change anything. I am going to see if I can get another cluster with less mileage and see if it will update to current mileage on truck.

Comment

Working...