Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GypsyR
    • Jul 2017

Verdict battery gone dead

I had a spare battery when I bought this Verdict (used) and foolishly let someone talk me out of my spare. Now, two years later...mine died.

I've had some luck putting new cells in other battery packs. In effect rebuilding them. Anyone done this for a Verdict? There are NO replacement battery packs that I can find anywhere.
  • spinellib
    • Oct 2022

I have an old Verus Pro (Verdict and Verus Pro share same battery) and looked into rebuilding the battery. As with a laptop battery, once you detach a cell from the assembly, the circuit board chip renders the entire battery assemble Dead forever!

There's a good video on Youtube from a gentleman who did indeed "rebuild" his Verus Pro battery. That is, he put new cells in his old battery case. To make it work in his unit, he had to modify his Verus' motherboard. Too risky for me to ever attempt.

A simpler alternative solution is to velcro a lithium battery pack with a 12V DC output to the back of the unit and use the appropriate barrel connector cable.

btw, I just checked Snap On "shop" website and they currently sell a new Verdict battery for $351.

Comment

• GypsyR
      • Jul 2017

I don't see how detaching the BMI board would render the pack useless from thereon but it wouldn't be the first time such a boobytrap type thing has been done. I figure I'd have little to lose except time and what I pay for new cells. Other battery packs have built in BMI boards that require you to follow certain picky procedures to keep them happy, I know that.

My rep said though they list the battery there actually aren't any. Same guy took 18 months to replace a flashlight under warranty so a second look might be worth it.

Comment

• spinellib
        • Oct 2022

It's dumb, I know. But, as I understand it, one must "reflash" these laptop battery chips with software from Texas Instruments or somewhere. They made it difficult for...reasons, I guess.

Anyway, the video is quite educational for the DIYer and he does a great job explaining what he's doing and why:

Comment

• GypsyR
          • Jul 2017

Thanks, I'll give it a look. Tool rep came by today and I showed him the web catalog entry. Which happens to be under Verus Pro, if you look. I wondered if they were the same. He said he happened to have a Verus Pro on the truck and went to yank the battery out. When he did we saw that it said "VERDICT" in big letters right there on it. So, doh! Verus Pro and Verdict use the same battery.

Annoys me some to order a $350 battery for a scanner worth maybe $700 but I did. Time versus money won out. Plus I have spinellib telling me I would very likely be wasting my time working on it.

So...resolved.

Comment

Working...